Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making pumpkin butter

I want to try to make my own pumpkin butter. But all of the recipes I found say at the end to procees in a boiling water bath for 10 mins. (after you put it in jars). I think I have an idea on what that means but I'm not sure. Can you help?

2. # ADS

They want you to "can" the completed pumkin butter in Ball or Maosn jars you've sterilized. You can purchase these jars/lids/rings at most larger grocery stores, walmart,etc.

For the boing water water bath, fill a really big kettle with water andcrankit up to a good rolling boil. Then, submerge the filled, sealed jars in the boiling watrer and cook em for10 min. Remove them from water, and allow to cool slowly to room temp. w/ towel over them. This will create a vacuum seal.

OR.......

You could just buy some freezer containers and freeze it.

I opt for the second.

start timing after the water comes back to a boil...or go the freezer route...or, just make a small amount (if you want to be lazy, just reduce an amount of pumpkin pie filling/puree with some extra spice until its thick and spreadable)

Care to post a recipe?
    I'm part Penn Deutsch and I <3 pumpkin and apple butters to no end.

Not to hijack, BUT --- I'd love for this to turn into a thread about canning. I've always been rather intimidated by the whole jars and boiling (and sterilisation) aspect of it - but I love preserves and jams and things like that.....

I agree with you cackalackie. I have always wanted to learn the proper way to "can" but have also felt somewhat intimidated. I think that I would get such satisfaction from being able to do this. Any suggestions on an easy way to begin?

me too! i once took a "nutrition 101" class, at college years ago, and for the labs on mondays we'd have to cook to learn about food science (how cool is that? it was actually the hardest college class i ever had).

anyway, i made orange-grapefruit marmalade and learned all about canning and jarring but it was so long ago that i wouldn't know where to start now. that marmalade was awesome!

and, i'd also love a good pumpkin butter recipe. yum!

Pumpkin butter isnt something which we have here, can someone tell me what it is?

Pumpkin, apple, peach, and pear butters are rendered fruits, which have a high pectin content. As they cook down, they naturally thicken and become sweeter, browner and require little or no extra sugar. Usually have some sweet spices(cinnamon, nutmeg, alspice, ginger) added, and a bit of citrus juice or zest as preservative. Rich flavor and can have thinner consistancy than jams/jellies. Like thick drained applesauce.

Wonderful on baked goods or with pork. MonkeyBoys LOVE fruit butters on homemade breads or scones.

Thanks for explaining, it sounds yummy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads