Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

weird food concoctions

whatis the freakiest combo of food you've eaten or like to eat?

when i was pregnant with my son, i used to love to eat a bowl of red jello with a layer of salted popcorn on top. i'd eat it with a spoon and it would totally gross my husband out.

i like eating a handful of chocolate chips with a handful of whole walnuts. not weird, but kinda messy...

at the peanut butter shop in nyc, they serve the elvis sandwich - peanut butter with pickles! has anyone tried this?

i once was fascinated beyond belief with the closely watching the procedure of taking one chip out of the can of pringles and slowly drizzling chocolate syrup on it. i went htru the whole pack (it was, um, during my, um, party days...)

2. # ADS

For me, it's often sandwich concoctions. Some of it I think are just unusual in some parts of the country and the world, but some I've never heard of anyone else doing.

Smoked turkey with guacamole
    Chicken or turkey with coleslaw and cranberry sauce
    roast beef with Chinese style hot mustard and a sweet chutney
    provolone and hot peppers, maybe with a little oil and vinegar.
    meat loaf and bleu cheese dressing, though it probably has to be my dressing...
    Fava beans and lemon juice with olive oil in a pita. Calamata olives optional.
    And tuna melts: I know lots of people think they are very strange.

As a snack, lupini beans and unsweetened grapefruit juice.

I also have a lengthy history of foraging wild edibles. When I have to bring something to a potluck it usually has a wild ingredient or several. Kinda depends on the group though. If they are really mundane it will probably be something with grape leaves or wild onion or hickory nuts.

Lizzy, smoked turkey and guacamole sandwiches sound SO good!

I eat waffles with sour cream and strawberry jam on top.

I put sour cream in my chili, too. I didn't think that was very weird, but there are apparently a lot of people who disagree with that.

suddenly craving sour cream,
    Lyssa

I like strong cheddar cheese in cubes, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with wheat germ.

My brother was a huge fan of peanut buter and sweet pickle sandwiches as a child.

The mention of a provalone and hot pepper sandwich is going to make me run to the fridge.

As a latchkey kid, I spent whole afternoons making weird concoctions with random ingredients like sliced almonds, flour, brown sugar, food coloring and yogurt. For the record, none of them were remotely edible.

Now I like plain yogurt with apples and walnuts, "lazy nachos" which are chips, salsa (made chunk-free with my hand blender, I'm really picky) and little pieces of cheese. I just put the salsa in a little dish, dip my chip, and put a piece of cheese on top, repeat as needed. I also like sandwiches with corned beef, provolone, piles of mustard, and dill pickles.

And sour cream is good with all sorts of things. Yum.

Not bad generation of ideas here, folks.

A neat guy and I used to work twelve hour shifts with few interruptions. We came up with lots of inedible but interesting treats.

You know the dried anchovy snack in Asian groceries? Silvery to gold fish with the heads still on and maybe with a sweet crunch of sesame glaze? We thought of making blue jello (there were no blue foods at that time save for Roquefort cheese) and propping these fish in it in a clear bowl, then whipping blue jello with egg whites to make ocean white caps that we could frost the top with. We weren't sure what flavor we should add to the plain but blue jello, but something salty and tangy seemed in order. Maybe we could make the jello with gingerale and a few drops of Phillipine's fish sauce. Nah, that would be pushing it into edible.

Howsomever, I liked that snack with the aforementioned anchovies and glazed almonds and sometimes with wasabi peas. Yummmm.

**Big fat salty french fries dipped in a rich chocolate shake. When I was pregnant with Boy #3, I needed malt added to the shakes. It made me feel better (nevermind that my metabolism has been way out of wack since that birth and I think I blame the malt!)

**Tunafish + mayo + curry topped with a layer of mashed banana on good sandwich bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssalicious
    I put sour cream in my chili, too. I didn't think that was very weird, but there are apparently a lot of people who disagree with that.
    I always put sour cream in chili, on tacos, on burritos, on enchiladas, on fajitas, on baked potatoes. No one's ever mentioned it being weird tho' *shrugs* But then again no one else in my family really eats sour cream on anything so maybe I am one of the few?

~*Tracey*~

I thought most Mexican restaurants routinely put sour cream on all those things. I'm allergic to dairy, and I always have to request no cheese and no sour cream.

Good weird food invented by my sister: Bologna, dill pickle and mayonnaise sandwiches. I didn't believe her until I tried it, but it's yummy.

Good weird commercial food that no one believes me about: Chocolate covered potato chips. A candy store in my home town makes and sells these. Milk or dark chocolate, flat or rippled chips—they're all awesome.

BAD food combination no one should ever try: Mustard and sugar sandwiches. My grandma loves these—spread mustard (the regular yellow kind) on a slice of white bread, sprinkle with white sugar and eat open-faced (except don't). She grew up very poor, and I guess this was all she had to eat sometimes. Once when I was strapped for money and food, I had those three ingredients and figured what the heck; Grandma swore it was good. She was wrong. I have fallen on that grenade so you don't have to.

I too love sour cream on anything.

Sour cream and really ripe tomatoes. I could eat like 5 tomatoes like that.

Oh and deep fried pickels! The Amherst Brewery (In Western MA) makes the best ones. They are SO good diped in the ale mustard stuff they serve with them. Yum.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads