pecan brittle..what went wrong

I'm still mad at myself for a huge batch of pecan brittle I made at Christmas and had to throw out. I guess the recipe was wrong or I missed something but it was anything but brittle in the end. It was like heavy syrup filled with pecans. Good to put on icecream yes...but I had about a litre of it...so I chucked it.

What did I do wrong? any brittle experts here?

2. # ADS

Yeah. You did not cook it to the right stage. Sounds like you only got the temp up to 'soft ball' stage, where a blob of hot syrup makes a soft squishy ball in a cup of cold water. That's the only thing I can think of. Brittle is pretty easy as candies go.

thanks for the tip. I'm SURE the recipe said nothing about different stages...I guess they just assumed I would know. So I just have to cook it longer I suppose.

for brittle, it's best to have a candy thermometer. you need to get the syrup to the right temperature, or you'll end up with syrup (like you had), gummy sticky candy, burnt candy, or something else you won't like. you can put a drop of the syrup in ice water to see what it does (make a soft ball, thread, etc) but that's not as reliable as a thermometer. candy thermometers are pretty cheap, and they are useful in the kitchen.

pecan brittle made easy

my mom always made peanut brittle in the microwave and it always turns out awesome. i found this on the web, but it seems similar to the one she uses-- just sub pecans for peanuts.

MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE
    from Doris May, Roanoke

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup peanuts, roasted and salted
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix sugar and white corn syrup in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Add peanuts, stirring well. Microwave again on HIGH for 4 minutes. Add butter and vanilla. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on HIGH. Gently stir in baking soda until light and foamy. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Grease foil with cooking spray. Pour mixture on to cookie sheet and place in refrigerator or a cool place. When cool, break into small pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Also, there was a recipe printed in Heloise's column a few years back for microwave peanut brittle. I followed the recipe to a "T" and it never came out right. A couple weeks later there was a reprint in the paper--the columnist had left out a key ingredient, which escapes me at the moment!

Remove Ads

Ads