Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw diet.....

Raw diet.....

I am seeking information on the Raw Diet. The one where you eat strictly uncooked veggies, fruits, and nuts. I beleive that rice is OK as well.
    What benefits does it have? Negative side affects? Any info that you would have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. # ADS

shazzie.com is great. I once had the notion of going raw, but then I realized there were too many yummy things I'd have to give up.

If you want rice, you either have to eat it soaked or you may be thinking of the macrobiotic brown rice diet, which is also supposed to be good.

I'm assuming you're speaking of eating just raw grains/veggies and no meat/fish..?

A friend's girlfriend once did the raw diet for about a year or so (I believe she didn't eat certain fruits and vegetables cos they're considered 'the meat of' in some form). She kinda went weird - she had bizarre mood swings and strange behaviour. One had to work real hard to carry a conversation with her. My friend, her boyfriend, was concerned about the effect it had on her, and also cos they had a 6 year-old daughter who admired her so much that she did everything her mom did, including her diet.

Sorry, I know this is an isolated case, so may be irrelevant, oops.. It just kinda made me think how smart one has to be when trying out special diets.

In any case, it's always good to find alternative ways to eat healthier. Good luck! :)

Thanks ladies.... yeah, I definately would not go as extreme as you are supposed to. The thought of soaking rice for days to soften it to the point of being able to eat seems beyond ridiculous. I guess the more I look into it, the more fanatical and weird it seems. I'm proud to be one of those vegetarians that doesn't annoy people (besides my famous chef boss.... no Mike, I'm not EVER going to eat sweetbreads or veal tounge, I'm sorry). And I think I would annoy everyone around me if I followed the raw diet strictly. So I think I what I have decided to do is eat mainly raw when I'm at home with the occasional splurge if I go out to eat. Snack on celery as opposed to chips. Berries instead of cookies. And I'm cooking my rice, damnit!!

Stinker:
    I think what you said you want to do sounds fine. It's more of replacing unhealthy snacks with better ones, instead of being super fanatical about everything being raw. I've seen some raw diet people on tv and they were really nuts. A wee bit too into the whole thing. To the point of it being this obsession.
    I dunno.
    Also.. you can tell your boss that being vegetarian has nothing to do with not wanting to eat that stuff. Ugh. I'm a meat eater and I wouldn't touch either of those items with a ten foot pole. Gross.
    [ya..it's wasteful I guess..but no thanks.]

Hehe... yeah, a little too much for me. And I know I could do it. I have the will of a thousand gods. There is just no way in hell I'm going to spend that much time obsessing about my diet.

I only know a tiny bit about the raw diet. It seems to require a whole lot of time and many fancy kitchen tools. The theory sounds pretty good and I do try to eat more raw food than I used to. Here's my question, pardon my ignorance:
    is it hard to feel warm when not eating any cooked food? On wintery days I long for soup or casserole, I know these can be made raw but I crave the heat. Is that psychosomatic?

Quote Originally Posted by aspiring
    I only know a tiny bit about the raw diet. It seems to require a whole lot of time and many fancy kitchen tools. The theory sounds pretty good and I do try to eat more raw food than I used to. Here's my question, pardon my ignorance:
    is it hard to feel warm when not eating any cooked food? On wintery days I long for soup or casserole, I know these can be made raw but I crave the heat. Is that psychosomatic?
    I don't think so at all. Think about how a cup of tea warms you up, or the way you sweat when eating chillies or a spicy curry.

I definitely don't think I could do an all raw food diet! But I have read that is an excellent idea to eat a large proportion of your fruits, vegetables and salads raw.

I may be wrong, but I think there are some vegetables that have more nutrients when cooked a little. I think spinach might be one of them. Although I rarely eat spinach cooked compared to how much I eat it raw.

I'm always weirded out by fad health diets.

i think you'd really have to chew the holy living crap out of veggies to get the nutrients out of them. mammals can't digest cellulose, which is what makes up the cell walls of plant material. so unless you chewed well enough to break open most of the cells, you might as well be eating grass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads