Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pasta salad?

pasta salad?

i'm really needing good yummy foods i can make in advance and keep in the fridge for on the go. ever since i started school again, i've been slacking off eating well, which makes me feel sick and awful.

yesterday, for a picnic, i tried to make pasta salad out of microbiotic rotini, with steamed broccoli and baby carrots and cherry tomatoes, dressed with italian dressing. it was fairly good, but kind of plain. i've tried some recipes before and i can't seem to run across any good pasta salad recipes. does anybody know of any they have tried that are fairly tasty? i usually can get the bulk ingredients right, but when it comes to the sauce and the spices, i am clueless! eeep!

2. # ADS

What you made sounds good, but it would have been even better with some fresh chopped basil and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Also, using a really good dressing helps (like a nice Balsamic Vinaigrette).

I'm a college student so, naturally, I'm lazy as hell and pretty much make everything in advance and meals that I can eat for a whole week. I'm wild about fish and it just so happens that tuna is the only fish I can afford so here's my pasta salad recipe: If you don't like tuna, you obviously won't like this. Oh, and it tastes good with chicken too.
    Ingredients: any type of pasta-bowtie, macaroni, ziti, whatever-mayo/miracle whip/whatever you use for mayo, canned mixed veggies, tuna/chicken, italian dressing

Cook pasta, drain and rinse tuna/chicken, drain mixed veggies. Dump it all into a big tupperware. Add mayo/miracle whip until it's evenly distributed. I don't usually use measurements but some people like their salads mayo-y. Add the italian dressing until it's as tangy as you want it. Cool before you serve it.

Hey, I know it probably sounds kinda nasty but it's great. I hear you can add lemon to keep it from browning. I've eaten it after it's been in the fridge for a couple days and not gotten sick.

Oh, and you should try steaming veggies, putting it over rice and putting cheese on top. It's great. You can also add chicken or whatever. It's true, I live off of chicken.

i've always been a fan of tortellini, toasted pine nuts and pesto as a tasty pasta salad. pine (pignoli) nuts are good raw, but they are extra-special good in a cold salad for crunch if you throw them in a skillet until they get a bit brown.

i'm also a fan of lentil salad (you could do this with cous cous in place of lentils too). My favorite way to prepare:

1. prepare lentils according to package directions and drain
    2. cut up some shallots (or onion), and any veggies you fancy into smallish pieces (i like zucchini, eggplant etc)
    3. heat up a tablespoon or two of olive oil
    4. sautee your onion for a bit until it softens, and throw your other veggies in there too and sautee them until they are soft-- if this takes too long, you can also put the lid on and steam them a bit
    5. when they are nearly done, pour 2 tablepoons of balsamic vinegar into the hot pan and let it sizzle/reduce just a bit
    6. mix the veggies and vinegar with the lentils, adding a bit more olive oil if you like
    mix in some feta cheese too, for extra protein and salty taste if you like. i use mozzerella since I'm not so into feta

it tastes very good and lasts nicely in the fridge. i suppose you could use asian veggies & tofu, and substitute soy or teriyaki sauce for the balsamic, although not sure how that would go with the lentils...

anyhow, good luck! and let us know if you find some new favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by belleepoque
    i've always been a fan of tortellini, toasted pine nuts and pesto as a tasty pasta salad. pine (pignoli) nuts are good raw, but they are extra-special good in a cold salad for crunch if you throw them in a skillet until they get a bit brown.

i'm also a fan of lentil salad (you could do this with cous cous in place of lentils too). My favorite way to prepare:

1. prepare lentils according to package directions and drain
    2. cut up some shallots (or onion), and any veggies you fancy into smallish pieces (i like zucchini, eggplant etc)
    3. heat up a tablespoon or two of olive oil
    4. sautee your onion for a bit until it softens, and throw your other veggies in there too and sautee them until they are soft-- if this takes too long, you can also put the lid on and steam them a bit
    5. when they are nearly done, pour 2 tablepoons of balsamic vinegar into the hot pan and let it sizzle/reduce just a bit
    6. mix the veggies and vinegar with the lentils, adding a bit more olive oil if you like
    mix in some feta cheese too, for extra protein and salty taste if you like. i use mozzerella since I'm not so into feta

it tastes very good and lasts nicely in the fridge. i suppose you could use asian veggies & tofu, and substitute soy or teriyaki sauce for the balsamic, although not sure how that would go with the lentils...

anyhow, good luck! and let us know if you find some new favorites!
    i'm definitely gonna try this, thank you so much!!!

similar to the other tuna/pasta recipe...

it's easy, but oh so yummy

ingredients:
    medium shell pasta
    mayonnaise
    frozen peas
    tuna fish (preferably albacore)
    salt

leave the bag of frozen peas on the counter to begin thawing
    boil and drain the pasta (al dente)
    place it in the freezer to cool for a bit
    while the pasta is chilling, prepare the mixture
    combine the tuna with a few tablespoons of mayo
    add half a bag of frozen peas (or as many as you like or dislike)
    add the pasta, and mix it all together
    you may need to add more mayo, so that it covers all of the pasta
    add salt to taste and voila
    pasta salad

mmm, pasta salad

my fave pasta salad:
    bow tie, spirals, fusilli, whatev cooked pasta-- whole wheat if you can
    one red pepper- roasted and diced
    crumbled feta
    grated parm cheese
    newman's own caeser dressing
    s&p to taste
    crushed red pepper (for the daring)

this is the basic recipe-- sometimes i'll add white beans, olives from the stuck-up olive bar at whole foods, sundried tomatoes, capers

i usually make this with one packet of pasta and 1/2 bottle of dressing and adjust the rest of the ingredients as needed.

mmmmmm.

My favorite

I like tri-color rotini, olive oil, black olives, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, and feta cheese. Tastes like summer!

I love summer because I can make pasta salad and eat it all the time, either as a main dish by adding some grilled chicken to it (I often by the grilled sliced frozen chicken) or tuna.

I get all the veggies I can--summer squash, zucchini, carrots, grape tomatoes, bell peppers of all colors, cukes, broccoli, anything my heart desires and looks good and isn't too expensive at the time. I slice them all up, mix with pasta of my choice--even spaghetti noodles sometimes, but tri color or whole wheat pasta is my fav--and chill. Sometimes I add McCormick salad seasoning, but I can skip that if the budget doesn't allow. I'll get a nice lite Italian dressing for it. Even my husband will eat that.

Fast and Furious

I've made a pasta salad that can be eaten hot or cold.

Use a pasta of choice - I usually use either linguini or tortalini.
    Add Sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, canned mushrooms, chopped green onions, chopped spinach, black olives (opt.), canned chicken or precooked sausage (opt.). The sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts make up the sauce. I can't say this is very healthy but it is tasty, quick and versitile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads