Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Lemon!

True Lemon!

I read about this crystallized lemon stuff in Real Simple, and somewhere else-- maybe Lucky or Allure? Anyhow, I just got a box at the supermarket, and I want to report that everything they say is true:

*it costs less than that many lemons ($2.99 for a box of 40 packets, each with 2 slices worth of lemon taste. currently lemons are 69 cents each at my market, and i never use the whole thing before it rots just for flavoring my water)

*it really does taste just like a squeeze of lemon juice in your water or tea. I don't think I would use it in a recipe, but probably would sprinkle it over steamed veggies if I didn't have a wedge of lemon to squeeze.

I am usually very peevish about fake powdered things (see my sucralose rant in this forum), but given that I LOVE lemon and citrus flavors and never have a lemon around when i want some in my water, I had to try it. IMHO it is good, and doesn't taste like poison, and doesn't have fake sugar in it...

Anyone else tried it? Any other nifty new foodish things to recommend?

2. # ADS

Ah - but could you really put it in a gin & tonic?

;) in a pinch, yes, although they don't have lime flavor, which i prefer in my g&t!

What is it called. I'd love to try it! I have the same problem with lemons rotting before I use the whole thing.

they don't have lime flavor, which i prefer in my g&t!
    Actually, I do too. In fact I always have a bowl of limes on the counter - but rarely have lemons. Sounds like I need some of this stuff!

(I saw it in Real Simple, but was only skimming it as I sat in the - shall we say - powder room. I was immediately interrupted! I'll have to check it out!)

When I lived in London, I had freeze-dried (actually frozen) cilantro that you could just shake out of the pack onto your food or recipe. That was cool. It wasn't as good as fresh (obviously), but still was better than dried.

it is actually called True Lemon, MRSM103.
    http://www.truelemon.com/

freeze-dried herbs are a good idea too-- i always buy bunches of mint and basil and they just go bad after I've used as much as i need for my recipe...

During the summer months, I grow some of my own herbs in little pots and then freeze them. Yummmmmmmmmm

I just ordered a sample. I've never seen that in the store, it would probably be good for my tea.

We buy the stuff from Penzey's spices and love it.

They have a minced one that replaces lemon rind and a powdered one that replaces lemon juice. They also have it in orange so you can use it for orange chicken even if you don't have oranges in the house.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...lemonpeel.html

m.

i've never tried it, or heard of it. but i guess i'm not surprised it exists! i eat crystallized ginger all the time... it's amazingly yummy. this sounds different though. i like that it isn't fake or chemically tasting. i will definitely seek this invention out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads