easy recipes for a recent convert to New Domesticity

Hi!

i need your help because for years and years i have been boasting my non-domesticity and showing off how bad i was at cooking (my life was somewhere else... so on and so forth).

i have recently converted to new domesticity (knitting did the trick) but i am too new to know much. now, next tuesday night my former boss and his wife (who have always know the pre-domestic me) are coming to dinner, and i would love to:
    1. cook edible food, even good food if at all possible;
    2. avoid stressing out at the last minute (something that i can cook the night before as i will be coming home from work approx 10 mins before they show up), AND I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE I WILL NOT PUT MY FOOD DOWN when i offer it to my guests (I always seem to do that).

now, do you have any good advice for easy but impressive recipes? i live in italy so i have no access to fancy ingredients, but cheap access to italian stuff.

thanks for your help! paola

2. # ADS

if you are cutting it that close time wise then the crock pot may be your new best friend. i know it doesn't sound fancy, but drop a roast in the pot, dump a can of cream of mushroom soup on top, and then top with a packet of lipton's onion soup mix. let cook for 9ish hours on low. my hubby adores the hell out of it, and won't let me "fancy it up" at all - it is really tasty. very good with boiled red or new potatos that after being drained have been covered in real butter, kosher salt, and chopped fresh basil. serve with some nice green beans and you are good to go. oh, and if you want to fancy up green beans (and this is super fast): wash the fresh beans and snap off the ends, pour a bit (tables spoon or so) of olive oil in a fry pan, cook up the beans until you see dark spots on them (from the frying), toss in a pinch of red pepper flakes and some kosher salt - delish!

speaking of the crock pot, I have a good recipe that one of my friends refers to as "company chicken" since she makes it whenever company is coming!

Take a few boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts. DON"T THAW THEM! It isn't necessary! Depending on the size of the breasts, put in 3-5 for 4 people. You could play it safe and use 4 large ones.

Cover them with 2 cans cream of something soup (I like cream of celery and cream of onion) and 1 can cheddar cheese soup. You don't have to mix it up, just plop 'em in the crock on top of the chicken.

Cook on LOW for 7-9 hours. Don't cook on high or you'll burn the cheese soup, but if you are there to watch it, you can give it a jump start if you need the time.

Serve with a carb. Rice works well. I have served it with noodles of all kinds, but corkscrew pasta would be the best. Tri color pasta looks pretty. I have served it with potatoes, stuffing, you name it. It works with everything.

Add a side salad and another veggie like green beans or steam some asparagus. Pick up some fancy rolls at the bakery...Voila!

You can really vary this up any old way. I sometimes add a thinly sliced onion, a can of VegAll, frozen veggies (I add any veggies about an hour before it's done), frozen chopped broccoli...If I only do 3 chicken breasts, I cut out one of the cans of cream soup. I like to serve it with the breasts whole, but my husband likes me to cut up or even shred the chicken.

Hmm... if I were in Italy and I wanted to make something easy, I think I'd go with pasta! My friend who lived in Italy used to buy some amazing squash ravioli from a shop in her town. She bought it uncooked, took it home, threw it in a saucepan with some oil, and it was ready to go with some wine in about 10 minutes. I know it's not exactly whipping up a meal from scratch, but it's easy, stress-free, and tastes good. And you could always make a fancy dessert the night before if you really want to show off your new cooking skills. Good luck!

thanks to all of you! will report on outcome. p.

this isn't an idea for the boss dinner but just a general thought.

You reminded me of me. Being a interactive designer and being involved in a male dominated field, I never had time or the want for domesticated skills and crafts.

I lived on salads and sandwiches for years when in college. lol.

So I'm engaged now and want to share some of the cooking with my fiance. I found that the slow cooker/ crock pot cook books and recipes were actually pretty easy.

It seemed like a good start. Most recipes aren't too hard either.

paola,

how was the dinner? what did you make?

athena :-)

Remove Ads

Ads