Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm chubby

Timely Topic as I've lost 32lbs since mid January. Have about 10-15 more..or until I like my upper arms and belly. From a size 14 to a now 4-6.

- exercise..no heroic measures, just got off my ample butt. Walked dogs. Take stairs. Bit of yoga and pilates. Walk kids to school. Like to play loud fast music and dance around the house as tidy up: 1 average cd= 40 min areobics.

- watch portion size!!!!!! 18 Wheat Thins= 1 serving. A Snapple is 2 servings.

- load up on yummy spinach salad with low fat/ no fat Sesame Ginger dressing before main course. Love those Baby Bellas, too! Whole fruit is better for you than juice...feel "fuller" and get fiber.

- skim milk and low fat/ fat free dairy.

- Low fat protien sources: fish(most..salmon high fat, but it's high in Omega 3's; shrimp high in cholesterol); chicken; turkey; 93% lean beef.

- whole grain carbs: whole wheat bread; brown rice; using whole wheat flour in baked goods....and watching those serving sizes, again.

- crafting keeps my hands too busy to snack.

- lots of water and teas. Bigelow makes a very yummy cherry almond tea that tastes like a muffin, but 0 cals. Satisfies need for sweet, but much better for me. Starbucks will make you a skim cafe latte.

Good Luck! PM if you need help/encouragement.

2. # ADS

bessiemae

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Losing weight is such a challenge (esp. as you get older as I'm finding out). You made it sound so easy. Good for you!

I try to concentrate on doing what I should do, not on avoiding what I shouldn't. I try to make sure I exercise more or less every day. I try to focus on eating lots of veggies and whole grains. I try to eat good, homemade food as often as possible. And if I do those things, if I occasionally want some cheesecake, I have the cheesecake and don't feel bad about it. I don't have cheesecake instead of lunch, because I remind myself that I've vowed to eat a healthy lunch every day. But I'm allowed to have dessert after lunch sometimes. I have a much easier time responding to positive injunctions than negative ones. And I find that if I fill up on good stuff, I'm much less likely to binge on less-healthy stuff.

does anyone else feel kind of uncomfortable reading this topic?
    :-/

Parel, I just noticed it!

I think the title of this should be, "Let's eat healthy and exercise."

I would say I'm chubby, but I would also say I'm more fit than my thinner friends. Interpret that how you will.

Exercise is the most important thing, I think. Cut out greasy fried foods. That's just bad for the heart. And a copout, as far as cooking is concerned! Eat your veggies and get some protein.

Smile at yourself in the mirror.

Nice fat: nuts, peanut butter, avocados, soy products.

Treat yourself well.

thanks s.a.w.
    I needed to hear that, especially.

Folks have posted some pretty darn healthy shopping lists. I include a lot of veg/fruits in mine, and as little processed food as I can. I try to stay away from the partially hydrogenated stuff as it's terrible for your heart. Other than that, it's everything in moderation.

Exercise is definitely key. You don't have to run a marathon every day. I can't stick to an exercise routine, so I make up for it by taking the stairs at work (so few people do, it's kind of insane), walking for 15 min on my lunch break, and walking to places to do errands instead of taking my truck.

Oh! I'm so sorry any one felt badly; that most assuredly was not my intention. I opted to lose the wt because I turn 39 this year, and know it's supposed to be much harder to do so after 40. My mom is very round and beginning to have health issues, so it was a Now or Never kinda thing.

For me, the wt. was only an external manifestation of being bored and discontent with myself. Instead of embarking on some other Mid Life Madness, I opted to transform myself. Cut off my hair into a short choppy 'do. Dyed it deep Goth red. Jumped back into my art with both feet. Injected some fun into my life. The wt. was only a bit of the situation.

Still eat yummies, just try to balance them.

You should be the wt. your're happiest and feel beautiful and vibrant at.

kissmyknitz: it was more like gain 20 (ok maybe just 7) after loosing the meat. of course i think i replaced all the meat with desserts and carbs.
    poppy i hope you have better luck than me!

i really appreciate what soapandwater said above.

I'm chubby, but I've learned to love my body and work hard to have a diet that makes me feel good, and good about myself. I agree with lots of veggies and fruits -- I was vegan for a year and a half and lost some weight but also began to feel like I wasnt getting enough out of my diet. For being vegan, my diet was actually pretty well- rounded and I made sure to take vitamins to supplement what i felt I couldnt get out of my diet. I found out I was anemic and decided that I wanted to get back to how I felt when I first became vegan; healthy, full of energy, happy.

That said, I recommend low fat dairy like yogurt and nonfat milk for your cereal. I still drink soymilk too, and use Soy Garden instead of butter. I love tofu and use it in curries and a million other things. I like sugar in my black tea but I use stevia or raw instead of bleached sugar.

Basically the vegan mindset has stuck with me, and now meats and dairy are small additions to my fresh veggie-based diet.

I agree with the idea of finding something you love to do in terms of fitness and making that your main activity. I love cycling -- I do it whenever I can.

Also, I think it's important to maintain goals, and push yourself, but beating yourself up about eating an ice cream once in a while is not worth it. I see a lot of friends do that and it kills me! Being able to enjoy food is important to me -- you can eat healthy and still enjoy it, and you can still have ice cream when you really need it :]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads