Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm chubby

I've just been talking to my boyfriend about diet. Although we're very happy with each other, we aren't so excited about the "relationship weight" we packed on in our first 6 months living together.

His radical new diet: Not eating lunch at the pub every day. Instead of having a huge plate of meat, veg, and chips, washed down with a pint of beer, he's having a sandwich and a leisurely walk.

My new thing: I'm walking 3 to 5 times a week. I used to do it all the time and didn't realize how much it really worked. I'm also starting yoga again.

Our new joint thing: eating breakfast, not cooking red meat at home, and trying to fit in our 5 fruit/veg a day.

My goals aren't that lofty; right now I'm between US size 12 and 14. I'd like to be between 10 and 12. I think it's doable.

2. # ADS

About eating healthy: I read an article where health was compared to a bank account. Healthy food choices, exercising and generally healthy choices (such as not smoking) are all deposits into the account. Unhealthy food, not exercising etc are withdrawals from the account. The idea is not to never make any withdrawals (because what's the point of a bank account if you never use the money?) but keeping the balance on the "plus" side. I thought it was a nice analogy.

Back to the original topic...
    If I was grocery shopping for myself, I would get:
    * an assortment of dried beans and lentils, and a couple of tins of beans/lentils for "emergencies". I'd soak and cook a lot of the dried beans and then freeze them in small portions. Of course, usually I already have this at home, because it lasts forever. :-)
    * an assortment of what I call "real" vegetables, ie not only cucumber, lettuce etc which is mostly water, but more nutritious ones like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, root vegetables...which veggies I'd get would depend on what was in season. I try to keep (good quality) frozen vegetables at home as well. You can make spinach or kale soup really quickly from frozen chopped spinach/kale.
    * fruit - also depending on what's cheap and in season. Fruit and nuts are a great snack.
    * nuts of any kind (if available - my local grocery store is really bad)
    * sunflower seeds and sesame seeds - good to sprinkle on just about any foods
    * soy milk, probably
    * I don't eat yogurt, but if I did, it would be a low-fat, low-sugar kind. Yogurt is supposedly really good for you, but it gives me a headache and I'm not sure I should eat dairy at all, so...no thanks.
    * flour of different kinds I usually keep at home. Yum, homemade bread...I love bread with sunflower seeds or flaxseeds or nuts in it...
    * olive oil is also a staple
    * lots of different spices or fresh herbs - prepackaged spice mixes (the ones in bags, intended for one meal) can be really good to keep in the house, to spice up any dish...

You can make a billion of different bean stews or salads or lentil soup or hummus or falafel...I think that as long as you have several spices that you like, you can make even the simplest dish really tasty. You might want to keep a couple of condiments (sweet chili sauce?) at home too if you like that. And fresh herbs in a pot in the windowsill.

***ETA:
    Aaaah! How could I forget:
    * whole grain pasta - I love pasta. Pasta with spinach is really good, as is pasta with guacamole (or plain avocado).
    * rice

I'm such a carb girl normally, I can't believe I left them out! (Well, beans and lentils have carbs too, but you know...)

About the spices, my latest addiction is dried chili flakes. I put it in anything...I even made kale soup with chili flakes.

As someone who recently lost 35lbs without exercising I can only tell you what I have learned about myself, but everyone is different and Im not saying my was is the right way or the best way for you. Whatever you do, good luck and my hopes are with you!!!

I limited only ONE thing that I loved - SODA...Instead of 2 a day - i had one, then I had none I switched to iced tea which has been great.

I started eating smaller portions...After 28 years i finally realized the portion I have to eat to feel full - not the size of the plate (you're still a good girl if you don't finish your plate)which is a lot less than you think.

I hardly ever "GO OUT TO EAT" for one it's really expensive
    2... it really packs on the pounds for me. Its the only place i used to down 2 sodas along with my high fat meal - in appx an hour - and not even notice how many calories I just ate.

HOPE YOU DO WELL! EVERYONE HAS GREAT IDEAS I can't wait till i have more time to read all of them.

I made a shopping list and a list of meals yesterday, but I wanted to see what other people would make from my particular list, so I started a new thread:
    http://getcrafty.com/viewtopic.php?p=30635

I haven't been around getcrafty much in the past few months and this is my first post in a while. Hi, everyone!

Just wanted to say that I'm loving this thread. Lots of smart non-obsessive advice here.

What's the big deal with soda? Unfortunately, drinking a lot of diet soda is a habit that I've picked up from various boyfriends and now I drink a couple of them a day. Is diet soda really that bad for you?

E. Bess! Glad to see you're posting again.

Well, I drink diet soda, but it's not that healthy, I Wouldn't guess. I mean, ideally, we should be drinking water and soymilk and fresh squeezed juice.

I thought of something else so I had to post again (I know, I know...): Something that I am trying to improve is my habit of eating without thinking about it. I mean, I'm currently trying to eat consciously and with "all my senses" instead of just...eating.

Case in point: I recently attended a chocolate sampling where we all got seven small pieces of chocolate. Seems like really little, right? Well, first we were supposed to smell each piece of chocolate and try to describe the scent. Next, we got to try one small bit of each chocolate square, and again try to identify different flavours. After that three glasses of wine were brought in, and we got to try each type of chocolate together with different wines - just a small sip of each and a small piece of chocolate. The whole procedure took about an hour, and no one in the group could finish all their chocolates! It did feel like a sacrilege to leave half of each chocolate square on the plate when we left, but I really couldn't eat any more chocolate (and not in a bad way - I just didn't feel a need to eat it).

I wish I could incorporate more of that when I eat - really being aware of what the food looks like, what it smells like and what it tastes like, instead of just gulping it down.

That might also be a technique to try if you don't like e.g. vegetables - try a vegetable in different forms (e.g. raw, steamed, boiled and stir-fried broccoli) and analyze the flavour. You could also ask yourself "why don't I like this vegetable? Is it too bitter/sweet/flavourless? Is there anything I can do to improve its flavour and texture?" A lot of the times when I don't like something it's because I haven't really tried it properly, or because I've tried it in one form and don't think it tastes differently in another form. For example, I don't like red bell peppers that much, but they are probably really good in spicy dishes (to balance the hotness?), it's just that when I see red peppers I think of what they taste like raw, so I don't notice that in this dish they're actually quite good.

Which doesn't have much to do with losing weight, I know. But I think paying attention to the food is part of good eating habits.

E Bess--I remember a study floating around a while back that women who drink lots of sodas, even diet ones, have more trouble with brittle bones. I don't know if it's because they drink soda instead of milk or if it's something to do with the soda itself.

Also, caffeine is really not very good for you. It's a diuretic and makes sodas a bad way to stay hydrated.

Still, I've had caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper and found myself wondering what the point was... It just didn't have that sticky, sweet, buzzy goodness that I love.

I second everyone who said there is a lot of great advice here.

I am often distracted and don't eat until I am starving, at which point i will cram just about anything (and too much of it) into my maw.

When I schedule snacks and bottles of water at particular intervals (i.e. snack at 11 am, water before lunch, snack at 3pm, water etc), whether I am hungry or thirsty or not, I feel better and eat less junk. Plus when I plan it out, it is easier to have a healthy fruit or veggie snack on hand.

lalamark -- I've heard about that study, too. That alone is enough to make me want to try to stay away. Ah, but the break-up is always difficult!

Herbal tea helps out a lot here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads