Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm chubby

I'm chubby

and I need help from all you fit folks!

What's a typical grocery shopping list for you and what meals would you make from it?

Thanks.

Also if any of you formerly 'not so fit' folks have any words of advice or wisdom I'm a' listenin'!

2. # ADS

The items that are on my shopping list almost every week are:

milk
    oj
    tofu
    spinach
    bananas
    chicken
    tuna
    pretzels
    pasta
    bread

I like these things because they all last at least a week without going bad (some go in the freezer). Also, they're a good base for a lot of meals.

Well, this is what I have been doing.

No soda
    No fast food
    loads of vegetables and fruits
    The hard thing about eating right, at least for me, is all the preparing of meals. It is so easy to go for the greasy cheesy pizza, than to make a healthy meal, but once that is under control, it should become like second nature. At least I am hoping.
    I am also trying to limit my intake of cheese. Good Luck for me.
    But, I have been going to the gym five times a week and that also helps me want to eat better, since the other food make me feel sluggish.
    Try to eat whole-wheat pasta than regular pasta. Eat whole-wheat breads also, it contains more fiber than regular wheat.

See if you can google up the "No S" diet, it's super simple:
    no soda
    no seconds
    no sugar
    no saturdays :) if you don't take a day to treat yourself a little, you'll end up crashing and not doing anything.

The new mypyramid.gov is pretty interesting, keeping it simple as far as servings go, I started following that this week though I've been bad yesterday and today, stupid going out to eat and then leftovers :)

if you only let yourself shop along the perimeter of the grocery store, you find you only buy fresh stuff, nothing prepackaged. There are less impulse buys (if you dont see the Cheetos, you dont buy them) most of the stuff along the walls of the store is decent for you (but this does require you to skip over the refriderated cookie dough)

A typical list of things I stock up on:
    brown rice
    tofu
    fish
    miso
    vegetables
    fruit
    yogurt
    whole wheat tortillas
    herbal tea

Also:
    No soda
    No coffee (I have one on weekends because I enjoy it so much)
    Limited amounts of refined sugar and salt

Good luck! :-)

1% milk
    romaine lettuce
    cucumbers
    green and red peppers
    celery
    tomatoes
    olives
    tuna
    lots of chicken and fish
    wheat bread
    no soda
    no chips and crackers
    sugar in VERY limited amounts
    bottled water

I always serve a fruit and or vegetable with dinner and eat that first so I get full on the healthy stuff first.

I do love to bake though and I will make a disgustingly unhealthy dessert as a treat once a month.

MrsM

I've been eating almost all raw foods for 6 weeks now so my list is a little weird

Any and all fruits and veg I can afford ($5.50 for cauliflower? Eff you wholefoods!)

Raw nuts

Herbal teas

That's IT!

But I've been leading up to this for years... the best advice is

1) Eat more fresh, uncooked food than frozen/canned/cooked/packaged

2) Stay on the outer perimeter of the store

3) Stay out of the store altogether!! Go to the farmers' market and to a fresh butcher (tho if you give up meat you'll drop 20lbs like *snap fingers* that!) and don't eat out....

Oh, another good tip is after you buy all your fresh fruits and veg, go home an immedietly wash and cut everything up and put it in ziplocs/tupperware so it is ready to grab at a moments notice. Then you don't have any excuse not to eat fresh, raw stuff instead of running out for fast food or grabbing a bag of chips...

honestly, my only advice is to not worry about it. it seems like the more time people spend worrying about their weight, the harder it is to get it off and the less they enjoy life.

if you already eat a reasonably healthy diet, just try to exercise more, but find something you really love to do. if you don't like going to the gym, maybe try a dance class or martial arts class. African and Middle-Eastern dance can be an intense workout, but you still have fun, and learn a new skill. same with martial arts. if you're not into competition but you want more of a workout than Tai Chi, try Aikido. i have been doing Aikido for 3 years, and i can't recommend it enough.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads