Thread: too much food!

too much food!

I have started eating 4-6 servings of fruit and vegetables and drinking my weight in water every day in order to combat my tendency to binge (I'm talking gallon of ice cream in one sitting twice a week binging here). I even stopped buying sugary snacks from the store and told everyone to watch my eating, and while it worked for a little while, I'm back to my old ways, except now I'm even fuller because of all that damned water. Has anyone ever had this kind of a problem? Does anyone know how to combat it?

2. # ADS

Hey, the only thing I can say is that until you learn to live as you are now instead of thinking about how you wish you were, you won't be able to change.

Before a binge, you might think "What's the worst that can happen if I let in?" This mentality will probably just make you want to binge more. Instead, wonder: what's the best that can happen? Will you feel less stressed for a few moments, then become unhappy for two or three days and thus not accomplish all the great things you want to do?

You probably know what to do. The hardest part is doing it. Your "problem" could get a lot worse if you have a negative attitude. This probably sounds awfully cliché, but I know from (sorta) experience. Try to better other aspects of your life (your relationship with your friends, family, coworkers, self), and think about your REAL goals.
    :)

P.S.: Using huge servings of low-calorie foods might not end your desire to binge. Instead of thinking of food values and such, think of personal comfort happiness and health.

Are you sure it's a good idea to ask other people to watch your eating? I think it would stress me the hell out to think that other people were paying attention to what I was eating. And that kind of stress can make you (well, ok, me) binge.

Is it possible that you're not eating enough? I used to do that: my "healthy eating" plans had so few calories that by the end of the day I was starving and prone to binge.

Regular exercise really helped me. I think it was probably because I felt like if I was disciplined about exercise, I could be less disciplined about food. And binging was really a symptom of my problem, not the underlying cause. My underlying problem was actually my attempts to restrict my intake. When I stopped dieting and feeling guilty for eating, I stopped binging.

It was also really helpful to me to throw away my scale. Scales make me crazy, and they make me focus on the wrong things. Now, I figure that if I've gained or lost enough weght that my clothes don't fit, I'll notice. And otherwise, it's probably not enough weight to be worth noticing.

Ultimately, I had to have faith that my body knew what it was doing. I had to believe that if I filled up on good food and got regular exercise, my body would end up where it was meant to be. And lo and behold, it did.

kittensrme, most people who binge have an emotional issue underlying the unhealthy eating pattern. have you considered seeing a therapist? that might help more than restricting your diet.

Also, writing down what is going into your body on paper (think food journal) so that you have physical evidence of what, how much, and what you felt like while eating it sometimes helps people.. especially if you take extra time to write down how much fat, sugar, and sodium is entering your system.

It seems like you might have something else underlying though, so I agree with Stella.. seeing either a psychotherapist or a nutritionist will definitely help you.. or even a naturopath or herbalist..

it may sound silly, but try reading the book called "french women dont get fat" it's all about enjoying food you like, and getting more enjoyment out of smaller servings, and such.

i sort of have the same problem. well, i do sometimes is more accurate. what i found is that if i'm in a period when i'm reading a good book, or working on something crafty i don't feel the need to binge.. to sum it up: keep being occupied!

for instance, i'm restless, so when i watch TV i need to be doing something else, like eating.

nothing is fool proof, but i hope these tips will give you some help.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdish
    to sum it up: keep being occupied!
    so true, which makes it really tough when I'm not busy or bored and can't break out a craft or read a book. I try to squelch thinking about my next snack or meail by drinking water/getting up to refill my water bottle, which leads to trips to the restroom.

i have the same problem. i guess we are what they food addicts, right? i have tried food loging which you might have seen on the blogs here, and i've tried watching what i eat (like, not even real dieting just trying to eat more fruits and veggies like you are), but i think that i have just become a lot less happy with myself and gained more weight since i started worrying about it. its hard to get out of the mind set, though.
    i think the best thing is to concentrate on taking care of yourself, eating things that you know are going to make you feel good, exercising, and not just going through the day wondering if you've lost 2 pounds or how fat you are going to get if you eat a pastry. on a perfect day, i know what my body needs and i eat when i am hungry not just when im bored or restless, i have things that are healthy and things that are sweet a tasty, and if i do just need somthing to keep my mouth occupied i have some hot tea or juice rather than a gallon of ice cream.

it is so hard to do what you know is good for you instead of what is an easy quick fix! even when I stop and think before say... ordering rich Indian food instead of cooking veggies and couscous in my own little kitchen, I can often justify it.

little hijack, sorry. the thing is, all of the advice everyone else has given is good. what makes me eat poorly is being stressed, tired or bored. as as a few people said, those are psychological issues that can really be helped by exercise, staying busy, keeping a journal (of both food and emotions), making time for rest/meditiation in your day, and if necessary, seeing a therapist.

only you know what makes you binge, and it seems like you've shown yourself that it isn't really about being hungry. the next step is finding the root cause and tackling that. good luck and hang in there!

p.s. drinking water and eating veggies is good for you even if you have the ice cream too!

Remove Ads

Ads