Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Bread Machine?

I'm looking to buy a bread machine. Not looking for a crazy $500 model, just a regular machine that has a setting for whole wheatbread. Any suggestions for what model to buy? What other functions it's nice to have in a bread machine?

Also, do all bread machines turn out loaves with that weird spot were the attachments bakes in?

Thanks for your help!

2. # ADS

I have a Regal bread machine that I love, cost is under $50. I use it to mix and knead bread, then I take the dough out and put it in a regular bread pan to rise asnd bake.

We have a black and decker model that came from Zellers (Canada). Makes great whole-wheat bread (also cornbread, aweome pizza dough, and lots of varieties other than white). It was about $100 Canadian if I remember well - bought it about 6 months ago for the Special Boy.

The paddle is essential as that is what is used to knead the bread!!! It's not so bad that it bakes in - you just slide it out.

As for features, the only thing that bugs us about ours is the noise. There's a feature where you can add stuff to bread part-way through the cycle (e.g. raisins for cinnamon bread). The machine beeps REALLY LOUDLY when that happens, and YOU CAN"T TURN OFF THE VOLUME. Very annoying. It's particularly unfortunate as we like to have bread ready for 7:30 am when we get up, which means the beeping happens around 5:30 or 6 am. ALso the mechanical kneading action itself was pretty loud. As we were in a small apartment it was a pain. Now the bread machine is in our house where we sleep far away from the kitchen and I don't hear the beeping anymore, but if you could find a model where the sound could be shut off that would be great.

good luck with your new purchase,

del

I've got to run to Target now and get a bread machine - just reading this makes me crave bread and butter! Yum and thanks for the tips!

I have the Breadman Automatic Bread Baker. Embarrassed to say I haven't used it yet but plan to! Got it about 3 1/2 yrs ago too as a wedding shower gift. . . .

Just back from Target. I got the Breadman Corner Bakery. Bread's 'baking' now and it sounds like a herd of angry seals fighting in my kitchen. hmmmmm. There is a cheesy graphic on front but all will be forgiven if bread turns out wonderfully. Crossing my fingers and will let you know!

How much was it, Selah? And how was the bread?! Heavenly?!?!

Kissmyknitz - it was the cheaper of the two they had, $69. I almost went with the $99 because it made jam but then I decided it wasn't worth it. I was very pleased with the bread. I used a mix for easy 'baking' with the first one but next time I'll try to mix my own. I know you have some healthy and yummy recipes. Please share!

Oh, Selah, I don't think I do have any recipes, I think I just used the ones from the booklet that came with it... My MIL wrote an award winning recipe for cardomon rolls she shared with me once, but she's very secretive about it.... Try the basics, and when you feel comfortable just throwing stuff together, get crafty with it and add seeds, fruits, herbs, start shaping the dough differently, add washes... skies the limit! (I've been gluten free for like 4 years now, don't forget, I'm just speaking from memory... and what lovely memories they are...!! heavenly bread and butter!)

I found my Hitatchi Home Bakery2 at the Salvation Army for $15. I looked in every thrift joint for months, holding out for the perfect one. I found it, and it even had the origonal manual, recipe book and a troubleshooting sheet. I now make my own bread all the time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads