Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

choosing a perfume

i wanna smell yummy but i have no idea how to go about choosing a perfume. i get totally overwhelmed whenever i enter a department store cosmetics floor or any other kind of perfume vendor - after one or two sprays it all smells the same to me. how does a girl choose her signature scent? any advice on reliable guides/other resources for a more directed search?

maybe you kids can tell me what your faves are along with a little description?

i can tell you that i'd love something light (not musky or strong), moderately priced, and if at all possible, natural (though that's not essential).

2. # ADS

i am no help on natural but here are a few nice light-ish scents:

fresh's "sugar" perfume smells like lemon & vanilla, they have it at Sephora

origins makes nice, light perfumes too

benefit's "maybe baby" is a bit grapefruity and baby powdery, it is yummy

clinique's "happy" is gentle

for old fashioned, dior's "diorissimo" smells of nice lily of the valley

I have weird, reactive skin, so often perfumes "turn" on me, or make me itchy. I highly recommend spritzing on the perfume inside your wrist and then going about your business for at least an hour, then checking how it smells again, or asking for a little tester so you can wear it for a few days to make sure you don't get sick of it. since it is so spendy, it is depressing to buy a bottle and find that you hate it a week later!

Try the second option on the fragrance finder on Sephora. You just click the scents that you like and it narrows it down a little and suggests options in the family.

I like soft florals or woodsy orientals (complete opposites):

*GAP Heaven - nice soft like baby powder
    *Amor Amor by cacharel - light fruit/floral smell
    *Hyponotic Poison by Christian Dior - root beer barrel candy (always get compliments on it, but a little strong for day time or summer)
    *Classic by Banana Republic - light citrus/fruit

If you want something natural you might want to check out essential oils or a place like the Body Shop where you can mix your own.

I'm a huge fan of Sun's Eye Herbal essential oils, anything almond or vanilla.

The most recent perfume I bought was Lou Lou and I really like it, kind of amber smelling.

Most places will spritz a little on a card, or give you a sample to take home. Some places will have a "nasal clenser" (as opposed to a palate cleanser), often coffee beans, to help to clense your sniffer between scents....

Little hint... you want heavy, strong scents in the winter, in the summer, stick to lighter florals and citrus-es....

(I also love Gap's Heaven, Victoria's Secret's Pink, and Clinique's Happy... there must be something somewhat universal about these scents...)

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyknitz
    (I also love Gap's Heaven, Victoria's Secret's Pink, and Clinique's Happy... there must be something somewhat universal about these scents...)
    haha, yeah, I wear Happy at work or when I know I'm going to be in crowds because the odds are there will be other people wearing it so it won't be too clashy.

I have the problem with stuff smelling like bug spray because of my weird reacting skin, too, so I usually find something I like in a department store, spray it, and walk around for half an hour, then sniff my arm to see if it smells like ass or not. usually the light Ralph Lauren-y or Calvin Klein-y stuff, while I LOVE it on other people and in the bottle, ends up smelling EXACTLY like bug spray on me. so the perfume finder things online don't really work out too well. (I should have just said "I agree with belleepoque," heh.)

sometimes if I'm in the mood for a new scent, I'll go to http://www.makeupalley.com and read reviews there. generally if a reviewer has some perfume preferences in common with me, and mentions one that smells bad on me smelling bad on them, odds are the ones they like will be okay on me.

that's how I found my newest one, which is Carriére, it's a soft kind of soapy citrus, which sounds bizarre and is really strong at first but becomes very soft and smells clean.

Clinique Happy is actually a pretty good starter perfume, I think. that and Benefit's Maybe Baby are my summer perfumes. I only have Maybe Baby in the little solid powder compact, but I want to get the perfume, it smells so good.

in winter I wear Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, which I love. Chanel's Chance smells really good too, it's a bit peppery. I would have gotten them both if I could but they're a little pricey. it might be a little too strong for your tastes, though.

ooh, and Escada makes a lot of perfumes that are really light and smell like summer, I have a sampler pack and they all smell pretty yummy.

(I don't think there are any natural ones in this whole post, hee! sorry about that.)

emporio by armanni - a light baby powdery-ish scent... i dunnow, to me it reminds me of the smell of those little plastic strawberry shortcake dolls from the eighties, and it makes me happy
    chance by chanel - peppery, sultry... my sexy vamp scent
    oh, and a huge boss scent, it's in a red bottle with a silver top... i forget the name :( but it smells divine, kind of like syrup

when i get perfumes i only smell 3 in each shopping trip, after that they start to make me ill or they stink

I can't even step foot in the perfume counters. I get such a headache! So i stick to gently scented products w/ vanilla or citrusy body lotions and bath stuff.

Im with sewlittletime. Everything gives me a headache and makes me swell up. The only perfume that I've found that I can wear is Chloe. I usually stick to Bath and Body Works body sprays. None of them make me sick.

i'm hideously allergic to everything but essential oils, and i have to go lightly on those too, so i don't have any advice for buying "real" perfume. most perfumes are made out of the same 30 or so (i think, i read an article about perfume recently) ingredients in different proportions, and some of them are plant or animal derived but some aren't.

my favorite essential oils are vetiver (thick, heavy, woody, peppery) and patchouli (in SMALL amounts, not stinky-hippie quantities). i like earthy/woody scents.

for lighter more perfumey scents, you could try oil blends by someone like Auric Blends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads