Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you like to put in a pasta salad?

Many years ago, one of my GFs got me started on making pasta salads in the summer. Usually, I make macaroni and after it's cooled off, I put in diced meats like ham, turkey or chicken and chop up a bunch of veggies~carrots, cukes, celery, peppers, etc. Then I'll dice up some cheese to toss in, and sometimes add frozen peas. I toss everything w/ a low fat italian dressing. Oh yeah...sometimes I top it off w/ a few sliced hard-boiled eggs. Very yummy and hits the spot when you don't feel like cooking.
    How about you all??

2. # ADS

I usually do the pasta, Italian dressing, some peppers (red and yellow) and some black olives.

Mmmm. It's pasta salad weather in Chicago today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssalicious
    I usually do the pasta, Italian dressing, some peppers (red and yellow) and some black olives.

Mmmm. It's pasta salad weather in Chicago today.
    That's mine, except I haven't done the peppers. And I realized now that I should. Oh, and parmesan. I'm not even a huge parmesan fan, but it just works with the italian dressing so well.

I keep trying to figure out what's in the pasta salads that I hate so much. You know, the really sweet ones that leave a weird sort of aftertaste. I can't figure it out. Maybe it's just the dressing that changes it. So gross.

Hmm, I should make some pasta salad this week. There's a lonely can of black olives begging to be eaten.

Other things good in pasta salads: avocado, tomatos, sauteed mushrooms (well, okay, probably not, but I'll eat sauteed mushrooms with any sort of pasta), artichokes.

I start by cooking tricolor cheese tortellini--just because it's prettier-- and put little frozen petite peas at the bottom of the colander before I drain the pasta. Then rinse with cold water so the pasta cools quicker. After the pasta is cool, I mix it with a jar of artichoke hearts and its juices, roasted red pepper, chunks of salami and provolone, purple onion, fresh parmesan, pesto, and some kind of good vinegarette--usually pesto parmesan. I'm sure this would also be good with olives, but I don't like them!

zita w/ fresh tomato wedges, mozerella cheese cubes, brocoli florets, peas and italian dressing.

mmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks Sewlittletime, now I know what I'm making for dinner! YUM.

It depends what I have on hand but usually fusilli with artichoke hearts, sugar snaps, grape tomatoes, frozen peas, olives cured in oil and I mix it with store bought pesto.

OMG, creativecat, your recipe sounds delish! I love every single ingredient in it. I'm gonna even use olives cause I love them too. Do you use marinated artichoke hearts or the ones packed in water?

I like to use a tri color rotini, italian dressing, salad supreme, olives, pepperoni, mozzarella, diced up cukes, peppers, onions, tomatoes. Sometimes I'll add some chunked hard salami and celery too.

i like to use the tri color pasta too. and add all the veggies i can think of. then i add a little feta cheese and balasmic vingear. yum.
    or if you want more of a sweet taste, the sweet and sour dressing is really good too. cole hill farms makes a good sweet and sour...or check the "natural foods" section, they tend to have good dressings too.

yum, i'm making it tomorrow for dinner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads