Coffee problem solved.. Great coffee at my house!!

I splurged on a thermos type (Black and Decker) coffee maker.. and you know was never sold on the coffee.. I like my coffee really hot... so if there were a couple of cups at the bottom of it they didn't stay hot. I think that 8-10 hour promise is only if the pot if full. I always preheated the carafe and everything. Meanwhile I had a cute bodum frenchpress coffee maker that I picked up at a garage sale that I wasn't using because I like my coffee hot!! Well I also own a two-cup slimline thermos.. HELLO!! I don't know why I wan't doing this before. I make my French-Press coffee, pour it after the recommended 5 ish minutes directly into my preheated thermos. FINALLY my second and third cups are as hot as the first..and I have portable coffee at home. I have also taken to drinking out of my stainless travel mug even when I am at home. If I am writing while drinking coffee it keeps it for me.. I guess I mentioned I am fanatical that my coffee is hot! I am using beans from a local coffee shop which I had ground for a French Press. I guess the test of this coffee..is even when cold-it has no bitter aftertaste. I would say this is a combination of the quality of the beans..and the brewing method.. And that rather expensive thermal coffee maker? I am going to give it to my parents.. they are very frugal (I am too in general, but they put me to shame!) I think they will love it...I just gotta hang onto it till next time I visit. So if I have any cold coffee ever--I can make nice iced coffee.. the taste of my coffee before didn't excite me enough to make a frappe with it.. Anyother French Press Fanatics out there?

2. # ADS

oh. i used to use a press i college because we weren't suppose to have appliances (haha). i broke it in a move and haven't had one since. i want one now though!

i love my french press! the coffee comes out soooo smoooooovvvvvvve!

Ok, you have sold me I am going to get one!

anyone know how to make cold pressed coffee? I hear it's better for you than the other brew methods (less acidic and dunno why else), but i dunno how to make it.

we just started using the bodum french press we got at target last week and it's great! we tried to make iced coffee with it, which didn't work out so well because we were impatient and didn't wait for it to cool before putting in ice, but hot it was amazing.

i have a friend that swears by cold-brewed coffee, or toddy, so i bought her a toddy maker for her birthday. i'm pretty sure you can't make cold-brewed coffee without this special brewer, but they're not that expensive - $30 online or so. she likes it because it retains more of the oils in the bean and because it has less acidity. i hear it's good for people with acid-reflux, but it tastes quite a bit different from regular coffee so i'd try it at a coffeebar first!

thank you.
    i saw the toddy thing online before. it didnt occur to me to try to find it at the 'Buck's alternatives.
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by for_esme
    i'm pretty sure you can't make cold-brewed coffee without this special brewer, but they're not that expensive - $30 online or so.
    Is there any reason someone couldn't just soak the grounds in a jar and pour it out through a filter? To be honest right now $30 is a lot.

One thing I could kick myself for was not buying the Bodum for $3 at the Salvation Army, when I went back it was gone.

http://www.dentalplans.com/Dental-He...wed-Coffee.asp

here is a good article on why to cold brew....apparently you use more coffee beans to get less caffeine, but but you can save it up to 14 days as a concentrate - you brew it very strong and add hot water.
    here's what they say about how to make it...

"You do need a special "pot." Mine is a Toddy cold brew coffee system. Think of a drip maker where time replaces heat. The process is deceptively simple. Steep a full pound of coarsely ground coffee in 9 cups of cold water in a sort of plastic pail and allow the "mulch" to soak for 12 hours. With the pull of a plug, a thickish coffee syrup drains through a filter into a glass carafe which you then store in the refrigerator. When you want coffee, you measure some into your mug and add hot water or milk."

still, i dont see why a plain old jar and strainer wouldnt work fine, it just might be difficult to strain easily or quickly...???

Remove Ads

Ads