Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bottled water

bottled water

Bottled water is evil (may require free New York Times login).

In fact, grocery shopping has become a whole lot easier for me now that I have made an informal commitment to reduce overly-packaged foodstuffs.

2. # ADS

bottles water is one of my guiltiest habits. i need to drink a lot of water during the day because i work out every night and tend to get woozy and dehydrated if i don't drink at least a liter and a half or so of water during the day... but when i'm away from the house, it's just so easy to grab a bottle of water instead of bringing it with me. i have a Nalgene bottle that i try to keep filled up and with me, and i alse re-use the bottles from water i do buy as long as i can.

for me, this is the most important point of the article:

"Of course, tap water is not so abundant in the developing world. And that is ultimately why I find the illogical enthusiasm for bottled water not simply peculiar, but distasteful. For those of us in the developed world, safe water is now so abundant that we can afford to shun the tap water under our noses, and drink bottled water instead: our choice of water has become a lifestyle option. For many people in the developing world, however, access to water remains a matter of life or death.

More than 2.6 billion people, or more than 40 percent of the world's population, lack basic sanitation, and more than one billion people lack reliable access to safe drinking water. The World Health Organization estimates that 80 percent of all illness in the world is due to water-borne diseases, and that at any given time, around half of the people in the developing world are suffering from diseases associated with inadequate water or sanitation, which kill around five million people a year."

it makes me sick to think that there are people *dying* all over the world because they don't have access to water. it's just so deeply fucked up. and i don't want to contribute to that by supporting companies that are privatizing the water supply.

Unfortunately, the tap water in my house is not recommended for drinking. It's well water, and the maganese count is way above what is considered healthy. We can cook with it, and drink a little bit, but we have to get water for drinking down the hill that has been treated.
    I buy bottled water, but I recycle the bottles. It sucks, but that's how it is.
    I wish everyone had safe drinking water though. I think it's stupid in a way, because all bottled water is is rebottled tap water usually anyways.

eta: I though it was somewhat funny that starbucks just sent out an email saying that they'll sell this bottled water.
    http://www.starbucks.com/retail/etho...ookie%5Ftest=1

I reuse bottles for a bit, but tap water is palatable here. And when I lived in a place with sulphurous well water, I used a Brita filter, run through twice. The aeration alone helped.

When I've traveled outside the States or Canada, I pay particular attention to local custom with tap water. I think part of the ugly American image is in the flagrant waste of potable water that must be shipped in, or processed through a desalinization plant. If I'm on a Caribbean island for instance, I'm likely to drink the melted water from any of my ice cooled drinks. Heck, what am I saying, I do that here, too. In some areas it is not recommended to drink anything with ice added, because the ice may have been made with locally available water that will give you amoebic dysentery. Having had that twice before, I am a concerned quaffer.

I drink a lot of water.

I'm always amused when i see/hear tourists who come here stock up on bottled water. Much of the bottled water which you can by here is actually bottled where i live and is exactly the same as our tap water. On more than one occasion i have heard tourists in he supermarket reminding themsleves to buy water because our tap supply must be bad.

However i must admit that i occasionally buy bottled water because i want a new drink bottle.

I grew up in a state with bottle deposit and it's always funny to me why other states don't have that! Especially places like Chicago where the level of street trash is just toxic sometimes, and the city recycling program is laughable.

I have heard that the states with deposit are adding it for water too--maybe Hawaii already has. This after the whole "Get your DKNY/whatever brand bottled water" craze started in like 1995...

Recycling bottles still isn't the ultimate solution but it's better than nothing.

When I buy bottled water, it is because I am out and about and want to carry water with me but have forgotten my nalgene. I woudl rather buy H2O then pop or juice - more refreshing and less calories.

The empty bottles ALWAYS go into the recycling.

At home we drink tap water, sometimes with a lemon or lime wedge or some mint leaves if we're being gourmet. It's delicious. I try also to keep a jug of tap water in the fridge so that we don't waste water by running the tap to get cold water.

Also, if your water tastes like chlorine, did you know that chlorine will "evaporate" out of water if you let it stand? So you don't need a Brita to get rid of chlorine - let it stand in any jug in your fridge for a while and the chlorine evaporates out.

But I do agree with the article that drinking exclusivlly bottled water is wasteful. Some of my friends have a water cooler at home that they use for cookign and drinking. That water has to be bottled, trucked around, delvered, then the empties picked up, washed, reshipped, etc. when tap water is soooo cheap and sooooo cost-effective for everyone, why waste the world's energy resources on bottled water?

del

I'm happy that at *$ has started selling Ethos water, whose proceeds go to charities that provide clean water to developing countries. But yeah, it concerns me too - why do we feel a need to shell out money for luxury bottled water that we don't need, just so a percentage of it will go to help those people?

The Ethos water promotional brochures mention that it costs just 25 dollars to provide one person in a third-world country with a lifetime supply of clean drinking water. (That statistic blows my mind.) How about asking your barista for a nice free glass of *$'s triple-filtered water? It really does taste good. Bring your own bottle, and have them fill it up for you. Do that 13 times, and send the money you've just saved directly to the charity of your choice.

I have to speak out against bottle deposits - I now live in CA where we have deposits *and* curbside pickups.

Growing up in MN, we had deposits and of course we'd drag in our empties and get our refunds. But then we got curbside delivery and the deposits were taken away - the idea was that the convenience of curbside negated the deposit-as-enticement to bring it in. I was young when the switch happened, but I remember hearing that the recycling rates increased.

Now I've got a trunkful of recyclables because the station near me closed down and no one has a clue where another one might be. Sure, there's curbside pickup, but I want my deposit back!

On topic, I love having bottled water in the soda machines because I've given up soda (I can't afford the calories and phenylalanine+Coke is doubly nasty) so I can still get something cold. You've all made me feel guilty about it, but we've got one of those multi-gallon spout containers in our fridge; running the tap stuff through the Brita still leaves it tasting funny. If the local water were better, as it was when I was growing up, I would be drinking it without a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    ...Now I've got a trunkful of recyclables because the station near me closed down and no one has a clue where another one might be...
    In Massachusetts, they are technically required to take back cans & bottles wherever they sell stuff in the container you're returning, although I doubt the corner convenience store would be too happy about doing it. Larger places like grocery stores usually have machines that take them & print out little tickets to redeem at the register. However, the deposit law doesn't apply to bottled water unless it's mineral water. More info here if you're in MA

You might see if there is something like that in California, or see if the state government's site has info on where you can redeem your deposit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads