Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

experience fasting? cleansing fasts?

Hi,
    I've been really sceptical of the idea of fasting ('cleansing fasts,' etc.) in the past, but I've been feeling really sluggish lately and having A LOT of nasty acne (which I never had before), so I'm thinking about giving it a try. Do any of you have experience doing this? Can you suggest a (moderate) method? I'd like to try a less-rigourous fast at first, maybe juice? or juice and raw veggies?

thanks for your suggestions and insights!

peanut

2. # ADS

from what i know juice fasts or anything like that are not very healthy ways to go. however i have a few model friends who go on fruit/juice/soup fasts every so often for really important measurement days or photo shoots; i asked them about acne and they say it doesn't really help it but drops pounds FAST...of course they gain it back but it's not healthy, i don't recommend it.

but then again i've read articles in Cosmo (i think?) about that spa that a lot of Hollywood stars go to that "cleanse your systems" or "detoxify" or something by only feeding you liquids and not much of it. i guess if they set up a successful business they're all good and registered, but i bet it's a lot of $$.

maybe see a dermatologist and s/he can prescribe something for you?

yeah, i'm thinking more of the crazy new-age fasts where you eat yogurt and drink a lot of hot water mixed with lemon juice and also diluted organic apple juice to 'cleanse your kidneys'....

Personally, I don't think fasting is healthy.
    Any wieght you lose is going to be water wieght, which is going to come right back.

Have you seen a dermatologist about your skin? Try that.
    Also, make sure you drink enough water, and take your vitamins.

i totally don't usually think fasting is healthy, either. i'm the girl who always claims that 'cleansing fast' is just fancy-talk for a-n-o-r-e-x-i-a. i am not trying to lose any weight, i just have this urge to spend a couple of days drinking water and eating only raw veggies, and i was wondering if anyone else had tried something similar. oh well.

re:dermatologist, yeah, i should go i guess. but i think they'll just give me some pills or something, which i think is probably less healthy.... dunno.

peanut

i used to eat just brown rice every thursday as a way to give my body a break and have a gentle mini-cleanse.

i also have done what's called a "master cleanse" http://www.naturalways.com/master-cleanser.htm, in which you drink lots of water with lemon juice, cayenne, and maple syrup. i did 10 days, which was too long, in my opinion, but a few days would be enough to get the benefits. i don't see any problem with infrequent (say, once yearly) fasts, as long as they are not for the purpose of weight loss.

be forwarned, though, that if you do decide to fast, your body will probably cleanse some toxins, which means that your acne might flare up before subsiding.

I think fasts work well if they're approached as a whole body break. You definately don't want to cut back on nourishment and then decide to go hogwild gardening or exercise like a madwoman. The few times I've fasted have been for spiritual reasons. During this time i also purged excess stuff from the house and gave it away. Another aspect of this is giving the money you would have spent on food to feed someone who's hungry. The concept comes from the book of Isaiah if you're interested. (although I think other religions have similar concepts in regards to a fast)

I fast once a year (on Yom Kippur) but I really don't think it is cleansing, at least not physically. I feel like poo every time I do it, I just get tired and cranky and headache-y. Of course, that is an absolute fast (you're not even supposed to drink water, which I think is part of while I feel crappy) so maybe if you took a more moderate approach it would be okay. Maybe you should go for a few days eating only really high-fiber foods and drinking water to clean your system out. I wouldn't reccommend a juice fast, if you haven't been eating anything, having a glass of juice is just going to spike your blood sugar. And take supplements if you're going to be fasting, you still need calcium and vitamins. And I'd consult your doctor before starting any fasting program, get a blood count and stuff to make sure that a fast, even a mild one, won't exacerbate any underlying problems.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee
    i did 10 days, which was too long, in my opinion, but a few days would be enough to get the benefits. i don't see any problem with infrequent (say, once yearly) fasts, as long as they are not for the purpose of weight loss.

be forwarned, though, that if you do decide to fast, your body will probably cleanse some toxins, which means that your acne might flare up before subsiding.
    you did ten days? whoa.

thanls for the advice. I think I'll try a fruit/yogurt/brownrice/steamed veggies thing for a little while to see if I feel better and maybe do a day or two of cleanse in a week. I think two days should really be sufficient...

peanut

Hey Peanut, I think what you are planning sounds good (yogurt, brown rice, steamed vegs) but I wanted to try and sound like a mom and say "Don't forget to drink lots of water!" :)

IMO drinking water can do wonders for your body. Also if you are drinking tons of water take a potassium suppliment (multivitamin or whatever) to counter any potassium loss.

Good luck and good heath to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads