looking for gardenburger recipes

Hello!

Does anyone else eat gardenburgers as often as I think I do? I like them well enough but I think I always eat them the same way.

I like them with a little salsa and some fat free yogurt. I've also tried them with grilled vegetables. But these are the only interesting ideas I can come up with. What about the rest of you.... any ideas?

:) Abigail

2. # ADS

I thought you meant a recipe for making your own! I have a recipe for Sun Burgers, which are made with sunflower seeds.

I found much more potential in the fake chick patties. You can crumble them over salads, dunk them in wing sauce, or just make a yummy burger. I eat my gardenburgers the same way every time-topped with veggies and mayo or mustard on a bun or kiddie-style with no toppings and dipped in ketchup.

Karla

Hello Cack & Karla,

Thanks for the tips! :)

Cack - if you have a recipe to make your OWN gardenburgers I'm very impressed and I'm also all ears - bring it on girl! :)

Karla - I am very familiar with the "kiddie style" approach. I eat them very much that way too! :)

:) Abigail

Here ya go. You could probably add more stuff to it of you like. I'd almost forgotten about these, so welcomed the opportunity to look it up! One nice thing about this is you can make them quite fat, if you know what I mean.

Sun Burgers

1-1/2 2 Cups sunflower seeds (raw), ground in blender
    1 teaspoon garlic
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    cup chopped celery (optional)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    2 eggs

Mix all ingredients. Form patties (about 7). Place in greased baking dish. Bake @ 350F for 25 minutes. Flip and bake 15 minutes more.

Mmm, those Sun Burgers sound great! One thing, is that 1 teaspoon minced garlic?

Sorry - yes, that is 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. I hope you like them!

From the Recipe Exchange Tribe http://recipeexchange.tribe.net

pixmaven
    i don't follow a written recipe, but i have one that i used as a starting off point the first time i made veggie burgers years ago. i change what i do every time, but i almost always make curry burgers. here are the basics:

chickpeas (cooked)
    pistaschios (minced in food processor)
    chopped parley
    carrots (minced in food processor)
    red pepper (chopped)
    vidalia onion (sauteed)
    olive and/or peanut oil
    curry (various kinds, usually hot)
    peanut and/or almond and/or soynut and/or cashew butter to help things stick together -- i recently tried tahini and that worked nicely to keep things moist and together.

also, i have used the following in various batches:
    fresh chives, olives, mushrooms, fresh chili pepper, raw cashews, toasted almonds, mustard seeds, onion seeds, fresh curry plant, fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, yellow peas, toasted sesame seeds, red onion (raw, minced), leeks (sauteed), fried shallots, garlic (both raw minced and dried), dried onion flakes

------------------------

i found two recipes that i kind of "bastardized" into my own concoctions. both are from Vegetarian Planet by didi emmon (1997):

Yellow Split-Pea Burgers

2 TBS canola or corn oil
    2 c chopped onion
    1.5 tsp fresh minced ginger
    2 large garlic cloves, minced
    1.5 tsp cumin seeds, ground
    1 c uncooked yellow split peas
    3.5 c water
    2/3 c uncooked white or brown rice
    1 tsp salt
    black pepper to taste
    1/2 medium eggplant, peeled, cubed (1")
    4 slices stale or toasted sandwich bread
    1 red or green bell pepper, coarsley chopped

heat half the oil in saucepan over med heat. saute onions 5 minutes. add ginger, garlic, cumin and saute 2 more minutes
    add peas and 1.5 c water- bring to boil, cover, and lower heat. if using white rice, simmer peas 30 minutes (add a little water if it gets too dry). if using brown rice, simmer peas 10 minutes then add rice along with remaining water & 1/2 tsp salt -- bring to boil, cover, turn heat to low.
    simmer 25 minutes for white rice, 45 minutes for brown. uncover, cool 5 minutes.
    while simmering rice/peas, heat oven to 400 deg. F. cook eggplant cubes on cookie sheet for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft.
    break bread into pieces, crumb in food processor, put crumbs in bowl. next chop eggplant and peppers in processor in spurts until pepper in tiny chunks. add eggplant/pepper to bread crumbs in bowl, also add peas/rice, 1/2 tsp salt, blk pepper -- mix all well with hands.
    form mixture into 6 burgers. heat remaining oil in skillet, fry till golden brown (4 min/side on med heat)

------------------------

curried carrot-walnut burgers

2 TBS canola or corn oil
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 tsp ground coriander seeds
    1 tsp curry
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1.5 c white mushrooms (4 oz)
    1.5 c cooked, drained chickpeas
    4 med carrots, grated
    1/4 c chopped walnuts
    3 TBS chopped cilantro
    black pepper to taste
    unbleached white flour (for dredging and forming burgers)

heat half the oil in pan, saute onions on med heat 2 minutes. add spices, saute 3 more minutes. add mushrooms, saute 5 more minutes
    transfer to food processor, blend with chickpeas in spurts -- do not puree. transfer mixture to large bowl. add carrots, walnuts, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
    form mixture into 5 patties sing plenty of flour to dust hands and prevent patties from getting sticky. in skillet (not non-stick) heat remaining oil on med heat. cook burgers until golden brown, 4 minutes/side.

Andi R
    I'm going to post the recipe that my co-worker gave me, although she uses dried 16-bean soup mix instead of the beans called for and she adds bell pepper

1 c chopped onions
    4 garlic gloves, minced or pressed
    2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup peeled and grated carrots
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    3 cups cooked pinto or kidney beans (2 15-ounce cans, drained)
    2 TBS Dijon mustard
    2 TBS soy sauce
    2 TBS ketchup or 1 tblsp tomato paste
    1 1/2 cup rolled oats
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

saute onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until onion begins to soften. add carrots, chili powder, and cumin and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. set aside.

mash the beans in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a spoon. add the mustard, soy sauce, ketchup or tomato paste, and the sauteed vegetables. mix in the oats. add salt and pepper to taste.

moisten your hands and form the burger mixture into six 3 to 4 inch patties. lightly spray or oil a nonstick skillet and cook the burgers on medium-low heat for 5 to 8 minutes on each side

Remove Ads

Ads