need a good sunburn remedy

Hello & Help!

I went to the beach this weekend and I am red like a lobster. Does anyone have any good sunburn remedies? I'm wearing enough Noxema - you can smell me from across the room. But does anything else work well?

:) Abigail

2. # ADS

Lots of folks use aloe gel. It doesn't do much for me, but can't hurt either.

Cool baths with either baking soda or finely ground oatmeal added to the water are good.

Cold tea compresses soothe. I keep a bowl of it and dip and wring and reapply the cloth as soon as it warms up on my skin.

Aspirin will reduce the inflammation, possibly any swelling, plus offer a bit of pain relief.

Natural Yogurt. Like the Greek stuff. Sucks the heat out, apparently.

My husband swears by this, having been badly sunburned in Greece with a fellow Scot. (I still giggle at the thought of those two having to spread yogurt over each other!)

Get a huge tub of plain unflavored yogurt. Preferably a couple tubs of it.
    You'll have to slather it on, and probably should wear a towel all day in your house if you can, with just a pair of lose fitting underwear.
    The yogurt will do as the person above said, it should take the heat out of your skin, and it will help moisturize it as well.

If you can find the aloe after sun gel with lidocaine get that. it will make the swelling and pain lessen, and the aloe helps hydrate your skin.

In the future, keep sunblock with you at all times...and put it on every morning just in case. I have very pale skin and have been sunburned at least once a summer until I was 15, unfortunately. So I know how much it sucks, and I probably damaged my skin pretty badly too. The worst was when I decided that I didn't need sunblock at the waterslides. I got fried so bad i had blisters on my back, and a tanline that didn't go away for a year. It was horrible. Cold water and lots of aloe gel helped immensely!
    I'm sorry you have to go thru it too! Ouchie.

Make sure you drink lots of fluids too! Hopefully it heals soon.

I have also heard about the aloe and yogurt remedies.

I have heard that stuff like noxzema and anything with alcohol is actually not good - it is drying, etc.

Noxzema isn't really drying, but it can contribute to blistering for some reason. Also any of the 'caines: lidocaine, benzocaine, solarcaine are topical anesthetics but they may contribute to blistering as well.

I'd heard about yogurt, but never tried it. That's weird, because I always have plain yogurt on hand...

Hello All,

Well, I'm now covered in plain yogurt (vanilla somehow seemed kinda kinky....) and thanks to you - I feel much better. :) It does take the sting off!

Yes, I'm drinking a lot of fluids. I'm surprised I got this burnt. I went swimming and then just sat by the edge of the water long enough for my suit to dry so I could put my shorts and T-shirt back on. That apparently was long enough for me to get an all over burn.... in about twenty minutes. Its 30 SPF from now on girls!

:) Abigail

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I swear by Aloe Vera gel, the Fruit of the Earth kind is good, no extra dyes/scents/anything. I dumped some boiling water on my hand a couple of weeks ago, it hurt like hell. I immediately applied aloe gel and within an hour it stopped hurting and the next day I couldn't even see a mark. You have to slather it early, often, and generously. I'll have to try the yogurt thing, I apply my 45 SPF to be outdoors or swim, but I always seem to miss a little spot.

I know you are all better and all, but I just wanted to say on the aloe thing, getting it straight from the plant is the best way. Clip the tip of a leaf and peel apart to expose the goo inside, then put on with your fingers. I grew up in Southern California and got sunburned in the summer all the time. This what my mom always used, and it worked really well for me.

Remove Ads

Ads