Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanksgiving for two?

What do you eat when it's just two of you for a big holiday? Post your menus here!

(and ... a bonus question ...)

Am I totally crazy for wanting to do a turkey for two?

It's going to be just me and my partner this year, and we're trying to put together a menu. I really, really, really want turkey -- but the smallest turkeys I've seen are 10+ pounds, and he thinks that's just way too much. I think holidays are all about the leftovers that stay in the fridge for days, and that a 10-pound turkey will be fine for us if we factor in eating turkey sandwiches for lunch every day for a week. Any thoughts?

(Heh. And maybe I'm biased, b/c the leftover turkey sandwiches AFTER Thanksgiving are my favorite part of the entire holiday!)

2. # ADS

We've done a turkey roll for two, or turkey breasts. You can still make gravy with that. And vegetables can be made in whatever quantity you need.

Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    We've done a turkey roll for two, or turkey breasts. You can still make gravy with that. And vegetables can be made in whatever quantity you need.
    What's a turkey roll? Can you bake stuffing in it? (My boy has suggested turkey breasts, but I'm a little hesitant precisely for the stuffing reason. I love baking the stuffing inside the bird ... sooo yum.)

We have done Thanksgiving for just the two of us for a few years now. I still make a turkey, about 10 lbs. It's a good size for the two of us, besides the leftovers are one of the best parts about making a bird! You can freeze some of the leftovers! I also love to cook all day, it is my 2nd favorite holiday! So, here goes my menu:
    Turkey
    stuffing
    real mashed potatoes
    gravy from the turkey drippings
    cranberry salad
    corn, that I freeze in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    What's a turkey roll? Can you bake stuffing in it? (My boy has suggested turkey breasts, but I'm a little hesitant precisely for the stuffing reason. I love baking the stuffing inside the bird ... sooo yum.)
    the one's we've had are kind of like several turkey breasts tied together by the butcher in the shape of a beef roast, or ham. You can think of them as turkey breasts "rolled" together. I've had ones that are about 10" long and I guess 5 or 6" tall. Our grocer has them in the fall sometimes. You just bake them as you would any other roast, then take the ties off, and serve slices. Mmmm.

You can't stuff them, no. BUT you CAN make stuffing outside of the bird! My mom always made it by putting bread crumbs, seasoning, and butter in foil and popping in the oven - we were picky eaters and didn't like the "wet" stuffing (or "dressing" as I grew up calling it) and preferred "dry dressing" baked in the oven.

My fellow and I have celebrated Thanksgiving with just the two of us before and we did a turkey. Sure we had leftovers, but nothing too unmanagable. We ate turkey sandwhiches, turkey soup and we froze a bucj too.

We had a lot of fun doing it togeother just for the two of us.

I'd say if you want to roast a whole dang bird then you shoud go for it!

This year it will be just the two of us again and we are planning to have the whole shabang again. Our menu will be:

Turkey
    Stuffing - lots and lots of stuffing
    Mashed Potatos
    Gravy
    Cranberries
    Squash
    Asparagus
    Salad
    Pumpkin Pie
    Ice Cream

Wow - that's a lot of food!

dd

I think a turkey is fine for 2. You can always freeze some of the leftovers. My husband and I have cooked them before and the amount wasn't overwhelming or anything (part of that 10 lbs is other stuff like bones).

One year we made cornish game hens -- little tiny birdies.

I think it all comes down to your freezer space and casserole abilities :) Go for it!

But, I wouldn't hesitate to encourage you to find someone else to share the day with, the more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    But, I wouldn't hesitate to encourage you to find someone else to share the day with, the more the merrier!
    Oh, I absolutely would (and usually do) ... I love having friends over for Thanksgiving and I love cooking. But this year I have a major exam to take the week after Thanksgiving (150 books -- 3 days of oral and written examination -- the final hurdle before I start work on my dissertation) and basically, because of my exam, we haven't had the kind of quality together time for the last six months that we usually do. So this year Thanksgiving will be a big couples day for us, and we're gonna spend the whole day together cooking fancy food and hanging out and being together and eating and ... ya know ... stuff.

(ahem ... plus ... my house isn't gonna be clean until the week after my exam!)

normally if it's just going to be my hubby and me then we have a Cornish hen. But then I'm not a huge turkey fan-- so of you love Turkey-- go ahead make your turkey and enjoy all your leftovers!

other dishes in my normal holiday menu for two...

Mashed Potatoes with sour cream, chives, and cheese
    Green Beans
    Roasted Honey Glazed Carrots
    Rolls
    Homemade Pie--Sometimes Apple with icecream, or Pumpkin
    Homemade Truffels or Fudge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads