View Poll Results: What do you call that essential bread-based Thanksgiving side dish?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • dressing

7 19.44%
  • stuffing

19 52.78%
  • both: "stuffing" and "dressing" have different meanings

10 27.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i call it stuffing, even though i only eat the kind baked in a dish. being vegetarian and all.

actually, i usually call it "stuf-FANG!" or "stuffin'" in a fake southern accent.

2. # ADS

Maybe it is just the area that I grew up in, but I've never heard of anything bread-based being called "dressing" - but stuffing is a must!

It would be interesting to know where everyone is from along with their answers.

I am from PA and we have always called it stuffing. I live in FL now and still here stuffing. So is it an Eastern US thing?

I agree that it's only stuffing if it's stuffed inside the bird. If it's baked in a pan, it's dressing.

We always had it baked in a pan and therefore it's always been "Turkey and Dressing." I should point out that it starts with a bag of Pepperidge Farm dressing mix (which is mainly coarse bread crumbs). I prefer dressing (wih or without gravy) to turkey, actually. In fact, Thanksgiving is all about the vegetables and side dishes. Turkey takes up room on my plate that could be used by lima beans, corn, or sweet potatoes.

And I grew up in NC (obviously).

I'm from St. Louis and we say dressing, but I know folks who say stuffing. Generally, I think that if it's in a pan it's dressing and if it's in a bird it's stuffing. More interesting is what's in it?

My mom's side always makes dressing with apples, celery, onions and bread and turkey broth (although she does do a vegetarian version for my husband). Very much in line with her German midwestern roots. But my dad's mom used to make an oyster dressing which I think had more to do with her being a Southerner. No cornbread in it though - despite cornbread being one of the best things she ever could make.

Unfortunately, I can never get too excited about dressing or stuffing, I'd much rather have cranberries and all the other sides.

You Americans are weirdos.

I had my first Thanksgiving experience last year and was mystified as to why a dish of bread and goo was called 'dressing'.

Don't you know that this: is stuffing, and this: is dressing.

What will you think of next?!

Oh, manukenkun, you made me laugh out loud!!! But if it really was logical, wouldn't you eat Yorkshire pudding for dessert?!?!?!

People used to eat it for desert! My grandad eats it with jam (jelly to you lot) so...

Ahhh yorkshire pudding is my favourite!

I'm from Long Island, NY, and I recently moved upstate. Until this year, I had never even heard of the word "dressing" used in this way! I saw a package of dressing at one of the stores up here, and, I thought "why would they put salad dressing in a box? and who has a family THAT BIG???"

And then I noticed the picture of the turkey, but I still didn't understand until I read this thread.

Dressing all the way, dudes. Must include cornbread.
    But, to be honest, I do occasionally find myself calling it stuffing to my midwestern husband. He's loving the cornbread and pork products combo, though!
    I love to see how the carby goodness transcends all geographic bounds. And I'm getting so many ideas for changing it up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads