View Poll Results: What do you call that essential bread-based Thanksgiving side dish?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • dressing

7 19.44%
  • stuffing

19 52.78%
  • both: "stuffing" and "dressing" have different meanings

10 27.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

stuffing vs. dressing

Um, yeah, I'm just dominating the food board today! (But is it just me, or have the boards in general been a little slow lately? And besides -- it's right about that time of year when food is on everyone's mind!)

So anyway, a post of delqc's got me thinking about the terms "stuffing" and "dressing". What do you say? Are they interchangeable to you?

I've always called it "stuffing" if it's baked in the bird, "dressing" if it's baked in a pan by itself. If I don't know how it was cooked, I'll usually say "stuffing".

And I prefer stuffing (baked in the bird) over dressing (baked in the pan) -- so much moister and tastier.

2. # ADS

I always call the baked in the pan version dressing. I also prefer it! We have always made it in shallow cassarole pans so you get crispy edges and moist in the center, never soupy or wet! My inlaws thought it was amazing when I made it and everyone got a crispy edge and no one had to have soup! Now their family is changing over from the deep baking dishes to the shallower 9x13.;) No one ever liked the soupy stuff anyway. I think I'm just pleased I've gotten them to admit something my family does is a good way of doing it!:D

We always called it stuffing, baked inside the bird or not. I prefer the baked in the bird kind because I think it has more flavor.

We do two kinds of stuffing. We alternate years doing a traditional American stuffing with bread crumbs, veggies, and maybe a little meat with a more Chinese version with glass noodles, other bean curds, fungus (crunchy black mushrooms) and ground meat.

Ooh, Miss E, can you give more details on the Chinese stuffing recipe? I *love* cloud ears and other yummy fungi.

I always called the bread stuff "stuffing". My Mother-in-law makes this divine meat "dressing", which is essentially stuffing mix w/ ground beef and a bunch of other ingredients.
    I prefer her dressing to plain stuffing. And now I'm really hungry for it and I need to go dig up her recipe and make some!!! MMMMMM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss E
    We always called it stuffing, baked inside the bird or not. I prefer the baked in the bird kind because I think it has more flavor.

We do two kinds of stuffing. We alternate years doing a traditional American stuffing with bread crumbs, veggies, and maybe a little meat with a more Chinese version with glass noodles, other bean curds, fungus (crunchy black mushrooms) and ground meat.
    that sounds insanely delicious. you have a recipe?!? or even general instructions? is it baked in the bird?

I call it stuffing but won't eat it if it's cooked in the bird - gives me the willies.

I've never had it cooked in the bird. We just always called it stuffing as in Stove Top Stuffing. Do you think stuffing vs. dressing is a regional thing like soda, some call it pop or coke cola?

So cool to think I inspired this thread!

We always called it dressing growing up.

Funny story: when my mom was in university, she went to a "nice" restaurant for the first time (she grew up in a very rural community). The waiter asked her what kind of dressing she wanted with her salad (i.e. Italian, French, Ranch, etc). Of course the only dressing my Mom knew about was the kind that was baked int he bird for thanksgiving, so she said, "um ........ Turkey?"

tee hee....

del

I just call it all stuffing. It's the same exact thing....just one's baked in the bird, one is baked in a dish. I dunno.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads