Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My favorite way to have portabellas is smothered in a ton of garlic butter and cooked on the grill. Not exactly health food, but I like to tell myself that most of the butter drips down into the coals.

2. # ADS

I've found that if you cook them in a really hot pan, they won't have that tough, rubbery consistency. And don't add salt immediately...let them cook down and get coated by the oil and/or butter.

I just like sauteeing them with melted butter and olive oil and chopped onion. A great side dish..or really tasty mixed with pasta :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    My husband, who spent 18 years as a chef, likes to rub them with seasoned olive oil and grill them on his weber! They're delicious that way. You could try peeling them and then poaching them gently in a pan of beef or chicken broth. I've done that and have been pretty happy.

In general mushrooms are happy when sauteed with butter, a little sherry and nutmeg, too. I might slice portobellos before doing that.
    YUM!
    I've done this for heavy duty meat eaters, who didn't realize they were eating mushrooms until I told them.

You sound sooo lucky- married to a chef. Heaven...

Thanks, anthrogirl! It definitely has its moments of delight... but it's sort of nerve wracking sometimes to cook in the same kitchen with him. I've taken to asking him to leave the kitchen if he spends too much time watching my pan over my shoulder.

I'm so glad I'm not drinking milk right now...

My mom, who is a very good cook, used to watch over my shoulder, too. When I was a teenager I had to throw her out of the kitchen when I cooked. I have to admit that I'm polite when other people are cooking, but I really prefer to be in the kitchen alone when I'm rattling pots and pans.

I've had portobellos flipped on their heads and the insides filled with lentils. Oooooh Boy!

I would recommend contacting https://paddockrentacar.com to rent a car for leisure and city trips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads