Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Portobello Mushrooms Help

I love portobello mushrooms and have cooked with them a few times and this last time I finally realized that I have NO IDEA how to cook mushrooms. I sauteed them in a little olive oil and then added chicken broth and spinach at the end. They were rubbery and not very delicious. So help me stop ruining my mushrooms. How do you cook them? What do you add them too? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. # ADS

My husband, who spent 18 years as a chef, likes to rub them with seasoned olive oil and grill them on his weber! They're delicious that way. You could try peeling them and then poaching them gently in a pan of beef or chicken broth. I've done that and have been pretty happy.

In general mushrooms are happy when sauteed with butter, a little sherry and nutmeg, too. I might slice portobellos before doing that.

Our favorite mushrooms

I marinate mine in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, garlic powder, and a little soy and grill them or broil them in the oven. We love them this way.

hm... mushrooms ;)

not-so-healthy way: sautee in butter until they're almost black. ohhhhhh boy.

healthier way: sautee in olive oil until they're almost black...

Grill 'em & soak them in balsamic vinegar overnight... heavenly - serve alone or over crusty bread or chopped up on a salad.

i use 'em in my pasta sauces too. chop 'em up fine, sautee them until they're really dark & then add them to the sauce.

portabellos

I've discovered that I love these cooked really simply:
    I brush them with olive oil, sprinkle on salt, pepper, and rosemary. If I have it, I also drizzle on a little balsamic vinegar.
    Then, I broil the hell out of them, flipping once a few minutes through. I normally don't recommend cooking "the hell out of" things, but I think it reduces the portabello rubberiness. Watch 'em though-- they can burn.
    We eat these on sandwiches or with cheese melted on over pasta or rice.
    Very quick and surprisingly cheap.

I've had portobellos flipped on their heads and the insides filled with lentils. Oooooh Boy!

The other day, Rachael Ray was preparing them and she scraped all the gills off, saying that they could sometimes get too soggy (I think), depending on what you did with them.

I've done them in olive oil and balsamic, then grilled them and served them in a bun with a grilled red onion for a different sort of veggie burger.

brush with olive oil and broil - then put in a saucepan with some 15% cream and simmer slowly - serve over broled/grilled pork chops.

drool .....

mmmmm, i love portabellas. my mom's way (similar to some here):

pull out stem (just grab and twist) and peel cap of mushroom (you can grab a little "flap" of the skin just at the lip of the cap and pull, it should peel off in a strip)

mince or crush some garlic into some olive oil. place mushrooms gills up on foil and brush cap generously with garlic oil, broil for 2 minutes, flip over, brush cap with oil and broil 2 more mins, flip again, brush gills with oil, top with a good amount of grated or shredded parmesan cheese (mozzerella might be good too), and broil until cheese is melted. snip some chives on top and eat-- delish!

I find that if I cook portabellas with too much liquid, they get tough. I use an olive oil/butter mix to sautee them, and I usually add some onions, salt, and pepper. They come out tender and very good. After all this is done, I may stir some tomato sauce or tomato paste in it and use as a topping for rice or toss it into pasta.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads