Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The woes of cellulite

First of all, this may not be the right place for this, and if not feel free to move it. I thought that I'd seen exercises and whatnot in this section, but I could be wrong.

I have had cellulite in a few problem areas since I was a teenage and gained a lot of weight. I'm twenty four now, and happy with my body for the most part, and I've lost those pesky twenty pounds from all that junk food and seditary lifestyle. However, no matter what exercises I have tried, I have never been able to relieve myself of the stubborn cellulite on my inner thighs and the back of my arms. I know that these are the worst places to rid yourself of the good old flab, but I'd still like to try. I'm especially self conscious about my thighs; I don't want to wear regular swimsuits and instead always get the style with shorts. I've always been self conscious about being seen in my naked glory because of them (although my boyfriend sees me naked on a regular basis and seems to have no problem with my appearance), and it's just generally a bummer.
    Any tips? Any specific exercises to tone these areas? I've thought about getting a thigh master, but it seems like a waste of money (and embarassment, lol) if it doesn't actually show results. I'm sure I'm not alone in this problem.

2. # ADS

There is so much conflicting information on this-- some say that the more muscle you build, the more it pushes that layer of fat that makes cellulite up and into the skin, some say that building muscle lessens the look of cellulite, it is supposed to be the case that caffeine (applied externally) does affect the "look" of cellulite temporarily. One thing I do know is that skinny-mini Gwyneth Paltrow has cellulite, as does Mischa Barton, so... I'm not helping with the practical side of things, but at least maybe that will put your own body in perspective so you can wear a bikini with pride no matter what!

If you DO find out what makes it go away, please share, though :)

belleepoque, are you hiding in the shrubs of celebrities again? you must stop that!

cellulite is just a certain arrangement of stored fat. unfortunately, it's not a different kind of tissue that you can change with special lotion, as much as advertisers would like you to believe that you can. if you use a scrub or massager that claims to reduce cellulite, what's probably really happening is that the product irritates your skin and makes it swell slightly, which masks the bumpiness of cellulite.

i'm not a nutrition expert, but i have taken a few nutrition/health classes, and all of my teachers have said that it's not possible to lose fat in certain parts of your body and not others. your body utilizes fat in it's own pattern, and working out your abs doesn't mean that the fat your body burns is going to come from your abs. so if you work your thighs out, you will build muscle in your thighs (which is always good) but the fat you lose will probably be distributed through all of the fat stored in your body.

i think cellulite is just a fact of life, and i think that we only obsess about it on ourselves. like belleepoque said, even super-skinny women have it. everyone has to have a certain amount of body fat to be healthy. despite what's shown in (airbrushed) lingerie ads, real people have fat that distributes in lumps and pockets.

My friend said drinking a lot of water can help.
    But she said something like "2 liters of water a day for 2 months".
    Which seems like a lot of water.
    And I don't know if it works.
    I've given up trying to get rid of mine.... It's kind of cute [not], like someone sneezed really hard and the fat on my thighs rippled and dimpled, like so many adorably chubby babies.
    If I hear anything else, I will be sure to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness
    My friend said drinking a lot of water can help.
    But she said something like "2 liters of water a day for 2 months".
    No, I don't think that works. I've been drinking that much water for the last few months of my pregnancy and I don't even want to think about (let alone describe) the way my legs look at the moment.

I like the idea of the chubby baby. I'm going to picture that.

thank you for this post!

wow. i have the same exact issue. i lost 70lbs about four years ago. no matter what i do, my butt and thighs have cellulite. i know that toning and building more muscle will make a difference, but honestly, how much?

i run, drink tons of water and nothing changes. worse, is that i also have stretch marks. it prevents me from wearing swimsuits, shorts, etc.

Since I've started weight training at the gym and using the elliptical trainer my cellulite is nearly gone. I don't expect it will ever go away completely and in a weird way I wouldn;t want it to, cos when I used to go to gay clubs and they had drag queens their thighs used to freak me out... they were too smooth and it didn't look right... it was even weirder than their visible adams apples.

So the only leg exercise I do is lunges- 30 each leg- twice a week and the elliptical trainer for a half hour three times a week.

Gah, it abolutely kills me that otherwise healthy women can obsess over stuff like "cellulite," which is really just fat repackaged in this term to make us buy cosmetic products.

As stella noted, it's not possible to lose fat in a targeted area of your body. And, as belleepoque said, most women have what's come to be known as cellulite.

So, my advice to you would be to eat and exercise to keep yourself fit and healthy and accept cellulite as a fact of life, part of what makes your body distinctly female.

I'm glad I've gotten all these responses, and in a strange way I'm glad this is out of my hands. I still don't think I'll be rocking the string bikini nor wearing certain cuts of tops, but that's okay. Just because you dont feel you look good in certain things doesn't mean that you don't like your body, ya know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads