Thread: Food Questions

Food Questions

I didn't see a similar topic, or else I would have just bumped it. I'm sure that other people have food questions as well, though not necessarily as silly as mine, so I thought maybe we could discuss.

Here's my questions right now:

1. Can you freeze donuts? I know that you can freeze packaged donuts that you would buy from the supermarket, with little to no damage when thawed. But what about fresh? The boy and I enjoy a donut in the morning once in a while, and often we go across the street for cheapy but still yummy day olds. I thought that you would get maybe a dozen day olds, but they give you at least two dozen or more for only $3! So, yeah, I can't eat that many, and I hate to waste, so can they be frozen? If not, can I maybe make something with them? I dunno...

2. How do you add citrus fruits to a bread/pastry dish? Would I add the juice, or the rind? I'm usually comfortable with experimenting with recipes, and I would love to use all that citrus fruit in new and yummy ways. But I see some recipes that add the juice, and others only the rind, and I'm not sure why there is a difference. Any advice on that?

Well, ask any other questions, and hopefully, MAYBE I'll have some tips to share!

2. # ADS

This is actually an educated guess on the citrus question, so anyone else can feel free to correct me.

I think it depends on whether there's any butter or milk in the recipe. Citrus makes butter and milk curdle, and you generally don't want that. (Occasionally, you do, as with key lime pie. But that's rare. Usually, curdled means nasty.) So if there's butter in your bread or pastry, grate the rind and use that to get citrus flavor. If your recipe uses oil instead of butter and doesn't include milk, citrus juice is fine.

The other consideration with citrus juice would be the amount of liquid in the recipe. Basically, you want the same amount of liquidy-ness.

I like to swap out half of the water in my white cake recipe for lemon juice. Very yummy with a little frosting and fresh raspberries. (If you are interested, my white cake recipe is printed on the back of the box of mix).

With something like bread, I would be more worried about using the juice and would probably stick with the rind. Although, if you retain enough water to let the yeast do their thing, you could probably sub there too.

Also, you can freeze donuts. When I was growing up, my mom used to buy a box of donuts every weekend and then freeze them so she could have one every morning for breakfast. They taste a little bit day old - but that's not too bad when they are actually week old. Quality might improve if you were to put them in plastic baggies or something - we always just had the cardboard box from the bakery shoved in our freezer.

If any of your citrus experiments are a success, let us know.

re: citrus

you can also use citrus oils or extracts or flower water for a little more flavor

http://www.foodsubs.com/Extracts.html

Re: Food Questions

Quote Originally Posted by happyhats
    I didn't see a similar topic, or else I would have just bumped it. I'm sure that other people have food questions as well, though not necessarily as silly as mine, so I thought maybe we could discuss.

Here's my questions right now:

1. Can you freeze donuts? I know that you can freeze packaged donuts that you would buy from the supermarket, with little to no damage when thawed. But what about fresh? The boy and I enjoy a donut in the morning once in a while, and often we go across the street for cheapy but still yummy day olds. I thought that you would get maybe a dozen day olds, but they give you at least two dozen or more for only $3! So, yeah, I can't eat that many, and I hate to waste, so can they be frozen? If not, can I maybe make something with them? I dunno...

2. How do you add citrus fruits to a bread/pastry dish? Would I add the juice, or the rind? I'm usually comfortable with experimenting with recipes, and I would love to use all that citrus fruit in new and yummy ways. But I see some recipes that add the juice, and others only the rind, and I'm not sure why there is a difference. Any advice on that?

Well, ask any other questions, and hopefully, MAYBE I'll have some tips to share!

1. It depends on whether they are cake donuts or the other kind. you can probably freeze cake donuts with no problems, just as you can freeze cake. The other donuts only havea few hours' shelf life.

You add the juice, and you can grate the thin outer layer into cake and pastry recipes. You never use the white part- it's too bitter and tough, unless you're making marmelade or something else where it will be cooked in sugar. The outer part of the peel is rich in essential oils. The juice is, well, wet- it changes the moisture content of the pastry. In pastry-making, liquid content is very important, since baking is essentially a form of chemistry where the pastry is made to rise through the presense of certain items (egg whites and yolks, baking powder and soda, yeast). With cakes, you can swap out vanilla or any other extract with fresh lemon or orange juice. Since peel it a dry ingredient, you can add that without any problem. Usually you add a teaspoon or so.

Thanks, everyone! That educated guess made a lot of sense too, sallysunshine. And while I know I could use essential oil, I live in Southern California where I can often get lemons and oranges for free, so I'd like to put them to use.

Do you think that for the flavoring to work, it would have to be fresh rind? Could I dry it and use it year round?

Now I'm going to have to try when I cook again. I'll report back!

Wow this is great questions about foods and also good information about foods i like this actually i was in searching for this information and thinking to make thread for this but i have no need to make any thread after read out this information anyways thanks for this and have a nice day........
    Last edited by Alexander; 07-15-2013 at 09:49 PM.

I have froze donuts before. I freeze all kinds of pastries with no issue. When I take them out, I pop them in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes and they are like fresh again!

then to replace high-calorie carbohydrate sweets except for dried fruits and pastilles?

this is due to the propensity to diabetes

Remove Ads

Ads