Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Party this Sat: Last-minute help

I'm throwing a party for an engaged couple on Saturday night. It's a stock-the-bar party, in which the guests will bring bar supplies (glasses, etc) or a nice bottle of booze for the happy couple.

I have my menu pretty much planned:
    - Lemon-dill shrimp (make the night before, refrigerate, serve with toothpicks)

- Beef tenderloin on crostini (cook, slice, serve at room temp over baguette slices, spread with horseradish cream cheese)

- Spinach pinwheels (Rolled up in puff pastry. You actually roll it up and freeze it, so you can make ahead and then just bake)

- Cheese and crackers (Parrano - everyone loves it)

- Some sort of cream cheese spread thing on crackers or pita crackers (maybe a smoked salmon one?)

- Nuts and nut mixes

- Assorted chocolates

I've planned it to be in the style of an elegant cocktail party - and will be serving wine and beer, and playing cool and funky jazz and swing music.

I'm not planning any cheesy games - but didn't know if there were any ideas to make it more fun and celebratory???

Also - any critique of the menu or suggestions for easy and elegant finger food? There will be 30 guests.

Thanks!!!

2. # ADS

Party favors would be good, like maybe those paper tiaras for all the women and carnation boutonnnieres for all the men.

The menu sounds great, by the way. Are you serving martinis, or any cocktails?
    I find pita dries out very quickly. Instead of bread, which you already have, how about vegetables for dipping? Baby carrots, celery, small tomatoes- that sort of thing. They also add color to the table.

Thanks for the tips. I'm just doing wine - to keep it simple. I had actually thought of doing personalised wine charms for each of the guests. This would (obviously) differentiate the glasses, and provide a keepsake. Alas, I haven't the time at this late date. I do like the idea of a favor, though.....

I wondered if I should do something whereby the guests write a good wish somewhere --- or something like that............. (I'm maybe thinking too much at this point.)

Thanks!

Any other tips or suggestions??? Anyone???

Thanks!

not for a formal party, pretty much all i've done at those types of parties is supply excellent food, make sure there is some conversation starter in the room, painting etc, and booze'em up!

never underestimate the lubrication of alchohol. ;)

lighting is all..

For a festive atmosphere lighting is the key..

go candles or xmas lights draped festively.. white or colored, it makes no difference.. Then turn off as many of the regular lights as you can and remain safe..

Takes almost no time and will absolutely transform your place..

and don't for get to mood light the bathroom.. oddly it is a very fun place for the party to seep into. Most partgoers will eventually venture there.

the menu sounds great (i want the pinwhell recipe, btw). I used to make a cream cheese spread that i'd mash green olives and anchovies(or anchovy paste) into with cracked black pepper. it was pretty yummy. If you could find an inexpensive coffee table type cocktail-recipe or tapas book for guests to sign it would make a nice memento and go with your theme. you could also have guests sign good wishes onto some colorful cocktail napkins and insert them into the plastic coasters made for holding colorful napkins. The couple could use them in their bar for years to come. mix up the music and have fun!!!

You could set up a canvas in the corner somewhere and supply paint pens for the guests to create art or write messages of support for the couple. We did this at our wedding and we treasure the art work. My brother sprayed a cool background, sort of a gradation of orange/yellows. You could add their wedding date in the corner. I think that could work with your theme.

Menu sounds great, have fun!

Thanks for all the suggestions. The party was great. The jazz was cool - but the party really got started when the Abba came on!

Would you be willing to share recipes for the first three menu items?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads