+ Reply to Thread

hoof-free rice krispie treats?

i've really been getting the urge for some rice krispie treats. they continously taunt me at work. but i take a bite and can't stop thinking about hooves and i just can't deal.... anyone have any gelatin-free recipes for anything rice krispie-ish?

2. # ADS

Would Kosher (cloven-hoof-free) marshmallows work? (I have no clue where you'd find them around here, though it might be easier now with Passover coming up.)

heres a recipe i found... im sure it works b/c a friend used it a while back.

1 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon soy margarine (or peanut butter)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    approx. 6 cup puffed rice cereal

In addition to the above ingredients youll need a heat resistant spatula, a small pot, a very large bowl, and a lightly greased large piece of wax paper (at least 9x13 in area, I used oil spray).

Begin by heating the syrup in the pot over medium heat then add the sugar to the pot. Stir continuously for a few minutes, you might start to notice it bubbling at the bottom, if it starts to become frothy turn down the temperature some. When it starts to look like its boiling add the margarine (I used earth balance) stir till evenly mixed, then add the vanilla, still stirring. If you notice that the syrup/sugar mixture does not boil you can turn up the heat, or just add the margarine and the rest of the ingredients after a few minutes it will still work fine, just make sure to spend a few minutes stirring the syrup and sugar before adding the other ingredients).

As the syrup and sugar are on the stove in the very large bowl measure out about 5 cups of the cereal.

pour the heated mixture over the syrup and began stirring with the spatula making sure to evenly combine the ingredients. You might want to add another cup or more of the cereal, depending on the amount of saturation your looking for (I find about 6 cups of cereal allows all the cereal to be covered in syrup but not too gooey: still crispy.)

when stirred to satisfaction, pour the cereal on to the wax paper, using the spatula to push it into a large rectangle, approximately an inch or so thick.

Allow the rice crispies to cool till hard, about an hour or so (although sampling of a chunk of warm rice crispies is possible for instant gratification!)

Serves: about 20 medium sized squares

Preparation time: 15 prep, 1 hour to cool

i know that whole foods sells vegan gelatin. i bought it for my friend who is vegan as a party gift. if you can't get to a whole foods, they might have it at another health food store or trader joe's.

"vegan gelatin" is probably just agar, which is from seaweed. it makes great fake Jell-O, but i don't think you can make faux marshmallows with it. i'd love for someone to prove me wrong, though.

i've seen jars of vegan marshmallow fluff at my health food store, but i've never tried it. i have never seen actual marshmallows in a vegan form.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirbeth

1 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon soy margarine (or peanut butter)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    approx. 6 cup puffed rice cereal
    oooh. looks goooood! thankie.

you can get vegan marshmallows. (www.veganessentials.com). then you can make old skool rice krispie treats!

Ads