Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What the Hell do I Make for Dinner?

Like cleaning, I'm bummed I'm supposed to do this every freakin' day (full disclosure - I do neither on a daily basis). Looking for ideas. So what easy recipes do you have to share? We're a non vegetarian family with an egg/nut allergy in the house, FYI.

Do you freeze meals ahead of time? What are your tricks?

2. # ADS

I fly by the seat of my pants.

Really, though, I'm thinking of making things so much simpler by making the same dishes 5 or 6 nights a week (I mean five different dishes but the same every week) and reserving one night for something different anf fun. I was thinking:

Monday - Spaghetti
    Tuesday - Herb Chicken, potatoes, beans
    Wednesday - Veggie night
    Thursday - Honey teriyaki chicken, rice. steamed veggies
    Friday - Soup, grilled cheese
    Saturday - mix it up
    Sunday - Leftovers or eat out.

We love spaghetti so I make a big batch of sauce once a month and divide it and freeze the rest. One great shortcut I take is to buy a really big box of boneless, skinless chicken at Costco. It's about $2 a pound which is way cheaper than fresh and the $20 box lasts well over a month. You just toss the frozen chicken in the pan in the oven.

lasagna is a great thing to make ahead of time and freeze... its also a great way to disguise veggies. the only bummer is that it takes for bleeding ever to thaw them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    I fly by the seat of my pants.

Really, though, I'm thinking of making things so much simpler by making the same dishes 5 or 6 nights a week (I mean five different dishes but the same every week) and reserving one night for something different anf fun. I was thinking:

Monday - Spaghetti
    Tuesday - Herb Chicken, potatoes, beans
    Wednesday - Veggie night
    Thursday - Honey teriyaki chicken, rice. steamed veggies
    Friday - Soup, grilled cheese
    Saturday - mix it up
    Sunday - Leftovers or eat out.

We love spaghetti so I make a big batch of sauce once a month and divide it and freeze the rest. One great shortcut I take is to buy a really big box of boneless, skinless chicken at Costco. It's about $2 a pound which is way cheaper than fresh and the $20 box lasts well over a month. You just toss the frozen chicken in the pan in the oven.
    I really like this idea! I wonder if I could pull it off. I'm actually kind of excited to think what my main 5 dishes would be. Thanks alot for the idea.

I am almost too ashamed to say this but...I kind of have this thing were I'm scared/confused by the whole freezing/thawing meat thing. You just put the chicken from the freezer into the pan? Do you cut it before?

I can't believe I admit these things in public.

thaw it out first... i leave my frozen meat on the counter for about 3 hours, and then pop in the fridge.

ive taken meat out of the freezer and put it in the fridge before work, and when i get home its STILL not thawed. it takes a little bit of planning.

I am currently having a mad passionate affair with my crockpot... once it was discovered I can throw stuff in and not touch it for the whole day!!! (7-8 hours) and do the other stuff I need to..housework, homework, surfing the web, reading, daydreaming etc, I have committed myself to learning how to make as much stuff as possible in it..

It replaced "convenience" foods for me , like packaged/processed stuff , I used to make with no time and laziness in prep on my part into REAL food... I can't sing my crockpots praises enough.

Right now I am searching for crockpot desert recipes!

april again - do you like a particular website for recipes? Would you be willing to share a couple of recipes that you really like.
    We have a crock pot but I always forget about it - I'm not that good at planning ahead so that probably doesn't help...

Quote Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
    Monday - Spaghetti
    When I was growing up, we ALWAYS had spaghetti on Monday nights. Huge heaping platefuls. Now whenever my brothers and I are at my parents' house at the same time, we plan for Monday spaghetti night like it's a special occasion.

My favorite recipe book was one I got for Christmas from my MIL that she got from a fundraiser the school was having, it was put out by the Rival Crockpot company. The ISBN is 1-4127-2218-7. Thier recipe for "Spicy Asian Pork Filling" is super good and they even have desserts!. Another site I like is the about.com site crockpot recipe section there is over a thousand as I recall!

Another thread in here talked about crockpots and one person mentioned their fave book which was " 101 Things to do with a Slow Cooker"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155

Crockpots really seemed to "come back" and I recently saw this article about them saying how they came back on the scene and I really like mine... I collect cookbooks from thrift stores but when I think now how many crockpot books from the 70s I passed up I could cry hahaha.

About the chicken - the instructions say to put it frozen in the pan and cook it for 28 minutes but that's just silly I think. I cook it with no seasoning or anything for the 28 minutes, pull it out and drain the juices that accumulate in the bottom because I think that's fat and it kind of grossed me out the first time I cooked it (you can cut it into pieces at this point if you need to) and then cook it for an additional half hour or so prepared how you want it.

I have a love/hate relationship with my crock pot. I love crockpot oatmeal for breakfast in the morning but I hate cleaning the thing and I haven't found a dinner recipe I liked except for BBQ pork and it was just a bunch of pork covered with a bottle of barbecue sauce and cooked on low for 8 hours. It was fabulous tasting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads