Quick, Cheap, and Delicious

Here's little something I've been cooking up lately. Quick and yummy.

Super-Simple Red Pepper Pasta
    Note: From here on out BTAB = Bring to a Boil. :)

You'll need:
    - Kosher Salt (Use Diamond. Not Morton's. Ick.)
    - Pasta of your choice (I use a hearty spaghetti)
    - Pure Olive Oil
    - Mild Italian Sausage (Optional)
    - Red Pepper Flakes (I like to stock up on the ones I get from pizza deliveries)
    - Parmesan Cheese (Either the little pizza packets or do the real deal with Parmesano Reggiano)

Method:
    Heat up some water for the pasta. Add enough salt so they water tastes like seasoned soup. i.e. not briny like the ocean, but not like plain water.
    BTAB. Add the pasta and cook until the pasta is just cooked, i.e. if you cut the pasta open, there is no opaque speck in the middle.

Meanwhile, cut open the casing on the sausage. Crumble up the meat inside and discard the casing. Heat up about a Tablespoon of olive oil (If you're using a nonstick pan, more if using stainless steel) until you see a thin veil of smoke rising. Add the crumbled sausage and DON'T TOUCH!. After about a minute gently lift a piece to check and see if it's golden brown. Then turn the pieces.

By this time the pasta should be about done.

Add the red pepper to the sausage to taste. I put about a teaspoon and a half. Let sizzle for a minute or so, to develop the spicy flavor, but don't let the pepper burn and turn black. Yuck.

Now add the pasta to the pan of sausage, along with a healthy ladle of the pasta water. Boil the pasta and sausage mixture until the water is gone, then plate it up.

Note:(Boiling the pasta with the sausage finishes cooking it, and lets the flavor permeate the pasta. I recommend this method for red sauces too. Heat up the red sauce in a pan, add the hot almost-cooked pasta and some pasta water. Then cook at a heavy simmer until the water's gone and the pasta's cooked.)

Shred some cheese on top and you're ready to eat.

Yum!

2. # ADS

Sounds yummy. And a nice change from my standard jar o'spaghetti sauce quick and easy dinner.

YUM!!!

Thanks for sharing that! Sounds yummy.

I've got another quick, cheap and yummy recipes-- Thai Noodle Soup. Serves two, and is a great starter to stir fry or egg rolls.

2 packages of ramen noodles (discard flavor packs or set aside for another dish)
    6 cups of chicken broth/stock
    2 cups of snow peas, cut into 1 inch pieces
    2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
    2 garlic cloves, diced
    1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
    1 lb chicken breast, cut into cubes (optional)

1. If using the chicken, put in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
    2. Meanwhile, bring lightly salted water to a boil and cook the ramen for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
    3. Once the chicken is cooked through (about 10 minutes), add the snow peas, carrots, garlic, and ginger to the chicken stock. Cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    4. Add the drained ramen noodles to the chicken stock and heat through. Voila- Thai Noodle Soup!

For a vegetarian version, you can always leave out the chicken, and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.

I am really impressed with what topics you share, I will visit posts from you more often. bmi calculator

Remove Ads

Ads