10 23.81%
  • wanting to eat better and i'm not very motivated

9 21.43%
  • a happy junk food junkie

2 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

get into the healthy eating groove...

hi all

i've recently come to the conclusion that i have to start eating better again. problem is - i'm having a hard time getting back into that pattern of healthy eating. i guess it comes down to motivation. i'm usually pretty motivated but for what ever reason i'm having a hard time with this one. basically i'm eating a whole lot of bread, butter, and salt and skipping my veggies - not because i don't like veggies - just whipping out the bread/pasta is easier. and butter i can eat it by the spoonful - really - (sick i know...)

so what do you do to get yourself back to a healthy routine after you've fallen off the healthy food wagon? i know this will be easier once i get my "groove back"

2. # ADS

Occasionally, I fall into a comfort food hole. I just know that it is something I need and I indulge myself (without criticism) for a little while. Like it or not, we have emotional ties to food. Sometimes, it takes a couple days of wanting nothing but mashed potatoes and pizza for me to realize that I miss my mom or I am unhappy at work. Then I try to deal with the issue. I find that forcing some fresh fish and steamed veggies into my diet makes me feel so proud (and makes my body feel so much better) that I am back on the wagon before I know it. Or...I just remind myself of what is actually in those foods and the appeal lessens. I also like to give myself a bite or two and then take about five minutes. I can usually put it away after that and still feel satisfied.

it seems that i am lazy and don't feel like cooking. this is what prevents me from eating properly. once i actually feel like cooking, it's all good. but lately, i just can't be bothered. i prefer to eat junk food, but i never really do that so i don't see how it is hurting me.

I've been trying to take better care of myself, overall, and have started working out regularly and being more mindful of what I eat. I started an online food diary at Nutridiary and have found it to be really helpful. Logging my food in that fashion has made me read labels and think about appropriate serving sizes...whereas before, I was just kind of going on some sort of instinct. Y'know, those Cover-it-all-in-chocolate/butter/cheese instincts. ;)

My older son and I started taking walks just over a month ago, 3x/week, while my younger son is in preschool. We are up to a 1.1 mile loop (down to a 17 min. time from what started out as about 21 min.!) around the neighborhood surrounding younger son's school. I just got a new bike, so we're planning to add biking on the other days, and gradually building up on that.

As for eating, well, I'm trying to get all the sugary stuff out of the house, although i don't really eat sweets all that much. And I'm making pasta less. When i do make it, I've been trying to go with the whole grain pastas. I don't really care for sandwiches al that much, so I don't eat bread on a daily basis. But again, I'm trying to keep the whole grain stuff in the house.
    I just stocked up on fruits and veggies, so I have no excuse not to eat them, considering my fridge and cupboards are pretty much devoid of any other foods, except for yougurt and a bit of cheese, and eggs.
    I try to limitthe red meat to just a couple of days a week, and am making chicken dishes more often, and occasionally fish.
    Well......I haven't lost any weight yet, but I'm determined to stick with it and keep trying. I think between trying to keep myself in check with the food, and gradually incresing my activity level, I ought to start to see results soon!
    But it's frustrating when you just want to see those results NOW!!!

Keeping a large stock of healthy snacks at my desk at work helps.

Using beverages like tea as treats in lieu of food snacks too.

And trying to imagine how much exercise a "bad" treat will take to work off sometimes helps.

i second the suggestion for keeping a food diary. for the first two weeks, just eat as you have been or want to and just record it with no guilt or trying to make it better. if you make healthier choices make them because you want to eat that particular thing at that moment. also, write down your feelings when you are eating, why you may have chosen what you are eating, how it made you feel emotionally and physically. after the two weeks, assess where you need to change, what you can add in and take away, or how to better schedule your meals.

it's really helped me see how much i eat, where i'm being lazy, where i'm being good, and how to better fit quality food into my schedule (which is the most difficult thing for me).

Just thought I'd pop back in and give an update. OK...so it's only 3 days later, but i'm damned proud of myself!
    I've been eating smaller meals, consisting mostly of fruits and veggies. Last night we were in a hamburger and fries mood, though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how well my changed eating habits are working after a few weeks after i hop back on the scale.
    Sunday we were at a friend's house, and she commented to me that i looked like I had lost weight. I said "Well, I've lost a whopping pound in the past 1 1/2 mos.!" She said "Well, maybe you've lost a few inches?". Then while standing there listening to others chat, I realized that the waist of my jeans felt awfully loose!
    Soooooo...it must be true! I haven't actually measured yet. But, it seems as though I have at least toned up, if my friend noticed it, huh??
    Yay!

I voted 'doing the best I can and lovin' it.'

I'm trying to lose the baby weight! I was a size 4 before kids and now, probably a 10 or 12 and I have about 20 lbs to go before I feel myself again.

Every day (or close to it), I take the kids on a 1.64 mile walk, pushing them in a double stroller to a park in my town that has bike trails. It has numerous hills that my friends and I call 'heartbreak hills' and it is such a workout pushing a carriage with a 2 1/2 yr old and a 2 mo old lemme tell ya!

As for eating, I'm cutting out a lot of sugars and fatty snacks, substituting for drinking my tea (with no sugar) instead of my Dunkin Donuts coffee with cream & sugar; eating healthy cereal with skim milk, substituting ground beef for ground chicken or ground turkey when possible, eating more fruits and LOTS of veggies, eating fish once or twice a week usually one time it's salmon and cutting out some breads. I've always loved vegetables so it's not a problem for me to eat them more.

I was 176 lbs at the end of my last pregnancy. I'm 5'5" and that was a lot for me, and I felt 'gross' personally. I've lost approx 30 lbs already so I'm down to 145 1/2--still a number on the scale I'm not comfortable with at all.

I had Caroline March 30 so that was only two months ago. I did have a lot of fluid retention, however! Hopefully by the end of the summer I'm at least down another 10 lbs!

I've also requested an exercise bike (as finding the time to go on a bike ride by myself is impossible now) and my parents have an old one that I'm picking up next week.

I love to exercise, always have, and I love the feeling you have afterward. If I don't get out at least once a day to do my walk, I'm just a bear to be around so hopefully the weather stays nice here.

I vote "doin the best I can and lovin' it," which means, for me:
    *cutting way, way back on the soda! I used to be a soda sponge, now I drink 3 a week or less.
    *Cutting out other sweets as much as I can (though I'm a sweet tooth, so I don't think I'll ever be able to give it up completely).
    * doing the fruit and vegetable thing.
    * eating breakfast. I found this granola at Sprouts that's a great breakfast-on-the-run.
    * walking--again! I have reformed myself in the exercise department three times this year; hope this one sticks. I have to hoof it around Manhattan next month without getting worn out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads