Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

diet on the cheap

hi everyone

so i am trying to loose some weight, not alot just some
    the problem is that "the man" has got me thinking that it will be expensive
    i am on a cereal and top ramen and 50 cent candy diet because of me and my dws umm...."artistic finantial status" but i still am getting pudgy

i exersize by walking 7-10 miles a day

do you have any amazing tips/cheap recipies/good intentions you can send my way?

THANKS!!

2. # ADS

http://weightloss.about.com/cs/tips/a/aa041603a.htm
    http://www.campbellwellness.com/soupforlife/index.asp

before i had my whole "stress not eating" weight loss thing, when i found myself getting chubby, i had campbell's tomato soup every day for lunch (cheap, though definitely not as cheap as ramen....) every day and it made a significant difference. i'm not 100% sure if it has to be campbells - i'm kind of off processed standard grocery store stuff so i haven't been doing it lately.... now, i just drink a lot of water, try to eat a lot of whole grains, and eat a lot of spinach as well as try to be as active as possible and i manage to maintain where i am.

also heard that adding calcium to your diet helps weight loss. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_56703

some of the healthiest foods you can eat are also some of the cheapest. i don't know where the myth came from that eating well is expensive. it's less convenient than eating candy and ramen, but you actually get the nutrients your body needs so you eat less volume of food.

buy a big bag of pinto beans or lentils and a big bag or brown rice. if you're into that kind of thing, get organic beans and rice. if not, hit a discount store like FoodMax. get some onions, carrots, and celery to cook the beans with, and add chili powder or whatever spices you like. i like mild chili powder, bay leaf, basil, and a can of peeled and diced tomatoes (also cheap at a discount store or on sale). for lentils, i leave out the chili powder and add curry powder.

buy whatever cheap, in-season veggies you think look good, and saute them with some soy sauce and sesame oil, and serve over rice. tofu is good with the veggies, and cheap too. chinese markets are good places to find inexpensive veggies and tofu.

that's basically all you need. a legume, a grain, veggies, and fruit. apples and bananas are cheap fruits. it's not the most exciting diet in the world, but you can mix it up with different beans and grains (try barley or millet instead of rice) and veggies from a friend's garden or the farmer's market.

Years ago I was in the process of losing weight (and need to lose some again), but anyway... It took 3 years to lose what I wanted, but since it was about 90 pounds that was good, and according to most it's healthier too.
    The first way I started was actually paying attention to how many times I chewed a bite of food. 20 chews per bite... It takes you longer to eat your food, you get fuller on less food. It takes 20 minutes for you to feel how full you are, so this worked well, since most of my problem was over eating. You know you can gain weight and over eat even eating the right foods. I also started cooking much more. As stella said, food thats good for you doesn't have to be expensive.
    Make sure you are getting a well rounded meal. Another thing a girlfriend who is a nutritionists told me is that the best snack or lunch you can have is a peanut butter on whole wheat bread sandwich! You get protein, and a carb for energy, you can have some celery, carrot or cucumber on the side to get a veggie. And peanut butter is fairly cheep too!
    Good Luck! I know it can be very hard!

To follow-up on what sarabell said, I am a big fan of the soup for lunch thing.

I know I have seen magazine articles and whatnot about how hot soup makes you fuller than the same number of calories worth of salad.

I started out eating a lot of the campbell's micrwavable bowls. Then I realized how silly it was to pay $2 for a bowl of soup. So I tried condensed soup, added the water at home and packed that off to work. Then I switched to Bear Creek soup mixes, which make a big pot of soup that I can eat for lunch for a week. That brought it down to about $0.50 a day.

I know that it is still cheaper to make the soup from scratch myself. I can manage that some of the time, but I still use the Bear Creek as a fall back.

It may be worth while to check the calories in the ramen... it generally has a lot more than you might expect.

some of the healthiest foods you can eat are also some of the cheapest. i don't know where the myth came from that eating well is expensive. it's less convenient than eating candy and ramen, but you actually get the nutrients your body needs so you eat less volume of food.
    Yep! Vegetables like cabbage, mushrooms, bok choy, carrots, and potatoes are usually cheap, and they're really good for you. You can also save money on food by checking out farmer's markets or food co-ops -- I pay $10 a week for a big box of local organic seasonal veggies organized through a food co-op. It's great!

For me personally, I eat the worst when I'm tired and hungry. But if you take one day ever week or two and dedicate it to making a bunch of healthy meals and freezing them, you save a ton of time and money and you won't have an excuse to reach for something that you'll regret later. One of my favourites is veggie burritos: brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, any veggies I might have around the kitchen, seasoning, a bit of shredded cheese wrapped in a whole-wheat tortilla. Wrap individually and freeze, then just throw them in the microwave or oven to thaw.

Just a quick question for you I didn't see mentioned yet. Do you drink a lot of soda? Are you using those wonderful packets in the Ramen packages? Your pudge could actually be water retention from all the sodium. Excess sodium causes other health problems as well, obviously, so it's something to look into. Also, ramen noodles are high in fat because they are deep fried before packaging, and that's why they are so fast to make.

I'm in agreement that eating well is a lot cheaper than buying the processed foods. Vegetables (which I happen to love, luckily) are cheap in their natural state as are fruits. I'm not a big fruit person, but love the vegetables and they can fill you up because of the water that they can contain.

Watch your sugar intake--try not to drink sodas (luckily, I happen to prefer tea and water to soda) but I know for a lot of people soda is their drink of choice.

I just had a baby March 30 and weighed a whopping (for me) 176 lbs at the end. Now, three mos later I'm 138 1/2 lbs. A dramatic loss but a lot of my weight gain was from eating not like 'me' in the first place so it was relatively easy. If I can lose another ten lbs. before I start back to work in about 2 mos, I'll be real happy.

Now, if you're walking, you must 'sweat' (work it) to make it worthwhile--as walking is a natural state for your body. I know it's not easy but believe me, I actually have looked forward to my 'workouts' every day now and am real cranky if I don't get them in!

I walk about 2 mi/day and there are hills and I'm pushing two kids in a stroller for 'weight bearing.' I get lots of comments along the walk from people asking how I make it up the hills! :D I also have a stationary bike that I ride (with some tension on the wheel) for a minimum of 2 mi/day and I sweat! With 2 kids it's hard to fit in a workout and I'm pleased that I have been able to do what I'm doing. When I return to work, I may join the gym there.

I also agree that you should try to cook for yourself and try not go out to eat (if you even are) as much as possible as restaurants flavor foods (even salads) with fattier dressings, sauces, etc.

I'm trying to eat fish at least twice/week and one of those nights, salmon--fatty fish but good fat. I also have lots of veggies on the side and try to watch portions of fattier foods and have cut out a lot of sugar which was VERY hard for me as I'm a choco-holic. I've also substituted ground beef for ground chicken or turkey--and whole wheat pasta instead of the regular stuff.

During the day I eat light, soups or cereal with nonfat milk. As a snack I'll eat the new Dannon Light 'n' Fit yogurt or have one of their smoothies.

Good luck with everything -- I know it's hard but soooo worth it, for your health and overall outlook. Do not get discouraged if you haven't lost as fast as you wanted to, you'll do it.

thank craftsters!! i had no clue about the ramen(calorieish and fried)

happyhats, i don't drink soda at all i think the bubbles are kinda gross.

i have started making soup for me and girl to take to work and have for lunch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads