Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

d.i.y. / environmentally friendly cooking spray?

OK, seems like the stars are aligned for me to just pester with board with all of my most clueless questions, so here's another one:

Ever since I got my own first apartment, I've eliminated all aerosol containers from my life (they are so bad for the environment!) except cooking spray. I love cooking spray -- it balances and portions out cooking oils perfectly for me. And yet, every time I use it I feel a horrible pang of guilt ... except that we all know guilt does nothing for the earth.

Is there a way to make my own? Like, by putting cooking oil in a re-usable spray bottle? Would the spray bottle gum up and jam? Would the oil come through?

This is a question I've been wanting to ask forever, but have not had the courage to admit I still use cooking spray.

2. # ADS

I bought a Misto a while ago which pressurizes oil so you can spray it; I found it for $5 I think now that they're not the newest coolest kitchen gadget.

The problem with any spray type of grease is that you can inhale it and it's bad for your lungs, so I stopped using it.

Yes - I was about to post that you can get these pump things were you add oil, pump up with air and then spray ... no aerosol involved! I keep looking for one ...

I can't imagine that spraying away from your face and not inhaling the spray directly would get enough grease into your lungs to bother you substantially more than the crap we breathe all of the time, like, say, carbon monoxide in car exhaust, but to each their own.

We had this little spray pump thing from the Pampered Chef, and it clogged up within a few months. When we finally unclogged it, it didn't spray in a mist, it squirts little streams of oil.
    So I wouldn't recommend the oil sprayer from the Pampered Chef?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by kindarana
    The problem with any spray type of grease is that you can inhale it and it's bad for your lungs, so I stopped using it.
    Heh. The reason I'm so addicted to cooking spray is because in order to get things evenly oiled I end up using a lot more oil otherwise. So I'm just going to tell myself that even with any possible risk to my lungs, I'm still better off without the extra grease in my diet :)

Thanks for tipping me off to the brand name Misto! I found one on Amazon for $8, complete with user reviews/tips! I am so including this with my next Amazon order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

(er, um, just in case anyone besides me didn't know about these things and wants to see)

Well don't you just keep a teaspoon measure with a bottle of oil, that way you're not over using the liquid stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by kitchensqueen
    Well don't you just keep a teaspoon measure with a bottle of oil, that way you're not over using the liquid stuff?
    The issue for me is even distribution more than measurement.

I had one of those bottles that you could fill with cooking oil - worked about three times, clogged up, starting leaking, was NOT a good deal!

i have had a misto for a while now, and it works great for me. i have the metal one. i had a plastic one for a long time, but the bottom was a separate peace and the oil started leaking. the metal is all one piece. i love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads