South Beach diet

My husband and I are thinking of trying it, to sort of hit the "Reset button" b/c we have been eating so much junk lately and feel crappy.

has anyone done it? Any advice or warning??

thanks.

2. # ADS

I tried South Beach. I lasted about 4 days and I lost 4 lbs in those 4 days. It's true that your cravings for sugar and junk do subside once you cut the sugar out. My problem with it is that for me, anyway, it's not a feasible way to live on a consistent basis. I broke down and ate 2 rolls (just 2 rolls!) after 4 days and it was like pulling the rip cord on my gut.

I think diets are generally a bad idea. However, I do think they can be helpful for "resetting the button". I just don't personally know a soul who has done low-carb and stuck with it. I'm sure they're out there, but most people I know trim down quite a bit but then binge big time, thereby gaining more weight than when they started in the first place.

That being said, cutting out some carbs..mostly the blatant, sugary ones and adding whole grains, will make you feel like a new person.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Whenever we feel like that, we just make a list of a few things to cut out (sweets, snacks, alcohol mid-week) and we make a new pact to eat healthier --- so it's a concerted effort we're committing to. Diets per se don't work for me, anyway.

the only person i know who has been on a low-carb diet consistently for a long time HAS lost quite a bit of weight, but frankly, he smells terrible. i don't know how extreme the South Beach diet is in terms of carbs, but very low-carb diets are pretty bad for your body. plus, they make you stink.

my problem with carbs and sweets is that i have an emotional kind of addiction to them, so it's very difficult for me to just stop eating them. The Sugar Addict's Guide to Complete Recovery has really good tips for cutting back on carbs that also address the addictive side.

Thanks for this advice all. Stella, I will have to check out that book, it sounds helpful.

Of course the fact that my husband works for a chocolate company doesn't help us.....

i've tried it, and it worked. i was really good about for half a year and lost 25 lbs. i agree with some of the others though, it's good in order to "reset" your body. i think i would have lost more had i really stuck to it, but one vacation and that all went out the window!

good luck though, whatever you decided to do!

Remove Ads

Ads