Fat free/Sugar free Apple Recipes

I went apple picking this weekend and was wondering what your favs are. I'm looking to limit the amount of sugar and fat in recipes.

Desserts, salads, entrees, etc. that you want to share!

2. # ADS

Not at all what you were asking for, but I discovered the magic of Ever-Fresh fruit powder the other day. I had bought it to make jam a while back and tried it on some sliced apples that I was serving au naturele. They made it through the entire party and the whole next day without turning brown. May have lasted longer, but I ate 'em before I could find out. Way better than lemon juice.

The reason for my ramble is that it has made me include apples in a lot more places lately. I like to add them to salads - the sweetness of the fruit makes me forego dressing.

I like sandwiches made with turkey, swiss cheese and apples slices on crusty bread and thrown under the broiler. Makes lame-o luncheon meat seem like a fancy dinner.

Weight Watchers had a recipe for an apple cake a while back that I remember thinking was good. I think it is this one.

That's all can think of at the moment other than chop them up and throw them in everything - bread, oatmeal, muffins, etc.

Applesauce may be a good option for the ones you can't eat right away. And then applesauce is frequently a substitute for fat/oil in recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by craftfetish
    The reason for my ramble is that it has made me include apples in a lot more places lately. I like to add them to salads - the sweetness of the fruit makes me forego dressing.

I like sandwiches made with turkey, swiss cheese and apples slices on crusty bread and thrown under the broiler. Makes lame-o luncheon meat seem like a fancy dinner.

That's all can think of at the moment other than chop them up and throw them in everything - bread, oatmeal, muffins, etc.

Applesauce may be a good option for the ones you can't eat right away. And then applesauce is frequently a substitute for fat/oil in recipes.
    Yes! I've done that (substituted applesauce for oil in a cake recipe). Came out great!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may try putting them on my sandwiches for lunch to bring to work. I've considered applesauce too

and 'throwing' them on everything!

sandwiches and salads for sure! i'll bet they would even be good thrown in an omlette with some onion and bleu cheese... YUM... served on a bed of baby greens. my mouth just watered.

i made a killer apple cake this morning, but it contained 2 cups of sugar and a cup of butter. i know you're looking for fat free and low sugar, but if you're interested in hopping off the wagon a while, i'll send you the recipe.

APPLESAUCE!
    That's my favorite. A whole bunch of cut up cooking apples, a little bit of water, some low heat with a little bit of stirring, and BOOM! Nummy applesauce. No sugar needed if you use sweet cooking apples.

Roasted butternut squash soup! I made some tonight, and the apple is a key ingredient.

That sounds good elixirbeth!

I've been looking for good recipes for butternut squash. Usually I just mash it up and eat it like baby food.

Remove Ads

Ads