chicken stock questions

does anyone make their own chicken stock? can it be done with just one roast chicken carcass? and, the most important question of all, is it worth it? thank you wise foodies.

2. # ADS

I have made my own stock, I don't do so consistently.

Yes, you can make stock from one chicken carcass (just less than if you had more "stuff") - The Joy of Cooking recommends only using enough water to cover the "stuff," adding more as it evaporates. When in doubt, I trust the Rombauers.

It is worth it if you (a) are interested in saving money/not wasting any of your chicken, (b) concerned about ingredients and really want to be able to monitor the sodium in your stock.

Taste-wise, I think it is only worth it if you are making something where the taste of the stock will be shown off e.g. chicken noodle or matzo ball soup.

If you are using the stock somewhere that there will a bunch of other flavors (roasting vegetables, a tomato based soup, etc) then the convenience of store-bought stock may win out.

Digs Magazine to the rescue!
    http://www.digsmagazine.com/nourish/...tocktricks.htm

I haven't made chicken stock, just veggie stock once or twice when I had a lot of weird vegetable leftovers. I don't think it's something worth doing on a regular basis, unless you have a lot of time. But it's kind of fun to try.

My husband and I make vegetable and chicken stock pretty regularly, and I think it's way worth it. Honestly, it's so very little effort and so much better than anything store-bought. I usually make the stock on a day when I have a good use for half of it (say, soup or something else I'm making in bulk), then freeze the rest in ice cube trays. There's always a scraps bag in my freezer for odds and ends of vegetables that will someday soon become wonderful, flavorful stock. :)

thank you all for your input! and thanks, teagrrl, for that great digs link too. as of course i have no idea about how to actually go about making stock from my frozen chicken carcass.

When we get a roasted chicken we usually get three meals out of it: the roasted chicken itself, something from the shredded legs and other bits we didn't attack the first time, and then stock. The problem I had the last time I made stock was that I didn't add enough other veggies so the flavor was pretty flat. Salt is helpful, and if you add too much water (just covering is good advice) you may have to boil some off.

Stock is one of those lovely things to make yourself during fall when it's so dang cold already and the radiant heat will make the kitchen toasty.

I do it, but not consistently. And yes, it's worth it. Make sure you use as fresh a free-range chicken as possible, though. I buy chickens with the feet and necks still attached if possible; the gelatin in the feet helps to thicken the stock, and I love the neck meat. I eat the feet afterwards too (a tip of the hat to my local Chinese dim sum restaurants for turning me on to the deliciousness of stewed chicken feet).

I make chicken stock very regularly (a little less than once a week; I'm still perfecting my technique), though I've never tried to make any other type of stock. I should swipe artgeek's idea to freeze it in ice cube trays. That's a "Duh".

I think it's very worth it to make chicken stock, and my husband hates most soups! It's just got a much nicer flavor than boxed or canned stocks, and has less sodium and other additives too.

I like it for cooking rice and other grains, as well as for adding to foods in place of water. I know some people use stock in place of milk in mashed potatoes, for example, but I've not tried that yet.

I can't wait until Thanksgiving is over. I see turkey stock in my future!

Remove Ads

Ads