Healthy Cozy Recipes

With the eating holidays coming up, and the advent of cold weather (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere), it seems to me it is harder to eat healthy-- not only is there social eating of large quantities of yummy but not exactly super-healthy food, but I also crave warm, creamy, savoury things on cold days. Produce for salad is not as good-quality, and I just don't feel like eating cold stuff!

So, I'd love to hear all of your favorite warm, comforting and healthy recipes for inspiration!

One of mine:
    Quinoa with Spinach, Eggs & Tofu (from a vegetarian friend!)
    1c Quinoa- prepare according to package directions, I do mine in a rice cooker
    1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (you could use steamed fresh spinach if you prefer)
    1 small onion, diced
    2 eggs
    1/2 block firm tofu, crumbled
    2 t Thai chili garlic sauce
    1T soy sauce
    1 t toasted sesame oil
    1 T olive oil

In a medium nonstick frying pan (this is because you'll be cooking eggs in here too. if you don't like nonstick for health reasons, increase oil so that you won't have a big mess!) heat olive oil over medium heat until hot, then sautee diced onion until translucent and soft. In a small bowl, add chili garlic sauce to eggs and mix with a fork until combined. Crumble tofu into egg and mix again with a fork until combined. Pour over onions and scramble together until it is somewhat dry and comes together in nice curds. Dump quinoa, spinach and eggs into a big bowl and mix together so it looks sort of like tabbouleh. Pour soy sauce and sesame oil over to season and mix again. Taste to see if it needs additional seasoning-- you can add more chili garlic sauce, or chili oil, additional soy or toasted sesame seeds. Eat warm. It also chills in the fridge for a tasty and nutritious cold salad.

2. # ADS

This sounds wonderful! How would you describe the taste of quinoa to someone who hasn't tried it?

hmmm, quinoa is a slightly nutty-tasting grain that has the consistency of cous-cous (which I know is pasta, but a good comparison) when cooked. you have to rinse it very well before cooking, as it has a film on the outside of the grain that has a nasty taste if you don't wash it off!

it is a very nutritious grain-- high protein, low on the glycemic index and apparently a good alternative for people who don't do well with wheat gluten.

there! i sounded like an ad, but it really is very good and filling.

Thnaks

Seems interesting

Thanks for the recipe.

Remove Ads

Ads