View Poll Results: Do you bring your lunch to work?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • I eat at home (go home for lunch or work from home in some capacity)

13 12.50%
  • a few times a week

30 28.85%
  • everyday

39 37.50%
  • very rarely

12 11.54%
  • never and I have no interest in doing so

1 0.96%
  • never but I always mean to

9 8.65%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I pack at least 2 lunches q day for the Monkey Boys,and whomever else may need one.

We have an assortment of reusable ice packs. Frequently on sale at Target for .99/2pk. Assortment of mini coolers/insulated lunch bags. Monkey Boy #1 uses a tres chic insulated camo messenger bag.

Bottled water or juice.

Assortment of fresh fruits and veggies.

Proteins: cheese, yogurt, nut butters, eggs, meats, etc.

Carbs: crackers, whole grain breads, pitas, etc.

Mix it up with Red Beans and Rice; Rice based salads, etc. Pack some big, fat drk. green leafy salads.

Dessert! Make a batch of gluten free brownies and dole 'em out over the week...tea breads smeared w/ cream cheese.

2. # ADS

This is probably going to reveal what a disgusting person I am, but I usually don't bother to refrigerate my packed lunch, unless it's something that seems really perishable. I haven't got food poisoning yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xuli
    For those without access to fridges, do you take non-refridgerated stuff and figure that a couple of hours of not being refrigerated won't hurt, or do you have a repertoire of lunchy things that don't need refrigeration?
    I think we overdo it on the refrigeration a lot. Lots of things in our refrigerators (e.g. cheese, jam, mustards, etc) were created for the exact purposes of preventing food from spoiling.

I use a laptop lunchbox (for those who haven't seen this, you can check out some of my lunches here, although I have been too busy to update it lately), and the laptop lunchboxes can be purchased with either an outside bag or a bento sleeve, both which can keep a frozen icepack next to the lunch. Now, I think this is slight overkill, but if you brought a lot of mayonnaise things (I don't) it might be worth it.

Also when I was in elementary school, I used to bring a frozen juice box which would keep the lunch cold until it was ready to be eaten. Or sometimes I would freeze 1/2 a bottle of water (We reused bottles many, many, many times), then fill it the rest of the way in the morning and keep hat next to my lunch. We do this when hiking sometimes, too, to keep cheese and water cold. The trick is to only freeze 1/2 the bottle, because if not it takes way too long for it to thaw.

This was kind of rambly, but I hope it made sense.

*edited to repair the link syntax

I looked at the laptop lunch and I may get one, complete with icepack. I spend a lot of time traveling between schools, so my food can get pretty warm. It's rather make sure I don't have a bacteria farm by the time I'm ready to eat. It looks like a great way to have a varied lunch!

For those without access to fridges, do you take non-refridgerated stuff and figure that a couple of hours of not being refridgerated won't hurt, or do you have a repertoire of lunchy things that don't need refridgeration?
    I don't have fridge access at campus, but I haven't really thought about it being a problem. It's only for a few hours anyway. I usually bring food that can be eaten cold (that is, room temperature...) such as sandwiches or salads. Sometimes I've brought (homemade) pizza slices and then I just take them out of the freezer in the morning and they thaw in my bag until lunch...but I don't think it would be a problem to bring already thawed slices either. I'd probably avoid bringing leftovers that have been sitting in the fridge for several days, though, or anything that just generally gets yucky in room temperature. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sallysunshine
    This is probably going to reveal what a disgusting person I am, but I usually don't bother to refrigerate my packed lunch, unless it's something that seems really perishable. I haven't got food poisoning yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by delqc
    I think we overdo it on the refrigeration a lot. Lots of things in our refrigerators (e.g. cheese, jam, mustards, etc) were created for the exact purposes of preventing food from spoiling.
    Hmmm. This is good to know. I was actually thinking of just taking my lunches and not refridgerating them, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't flirting with food poisoning.

As a loyal follower of your laptop lunch journal, delqc, I always assumed that the things you brought (cheese, leftovers) were refridgerated. I also have access to a microwave on campus, so I can heat things, I just can't refridgerate them.

Thanks y'all!

Something I do with my laptop lunch is put icecubes in the water bottle that goes next to the lunchbox in the insulated case. I find that it keep everything cool enough until lunch time.

As a loyal follower of your laptop lunch journal, delqc, I always assumed that the things you brought (cheese, leftovers) were refrigerated.
    Most things were refrigerated the night before, so they are cold when they go into the lunchbox. I also tend to eat my lunch right at noon or slightly before, and I usually take it out of the fridge around 8 am, so it isn't actually out of the fridge for that long - which is maybe why it hasn't been a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    Most of the time I don't, but usually the leftovers are in the fridge from the night before, so they are chilled when they go into my bag.
    I didn't realize that you use the full case. Is it worth it? Do you always use it? It just looks so huge to me .... usually I slide just the outer box into a corduroy bag just in case of leaks / popping open, and I throw that into my messenger bag...

*edited because, somehow, GC ate part of my post

I do use the outer case because I attach it to my backpack with a carabiner and (when it is biking weather) just toss it in my bike basket. My backpack is often too full for it and I think it's less bulky than repurposing another bag.

I bring my lunch to work pretty much every day. I've never bothered to refrigerate it and I don't think I've ever suffered any negative consequences. I generally don't reheat my food, either. Office kitchens, microwaves, and fridges tend to be NASTY, and I don't want my food anywhere near them if I can help it. If I'm putting rice or something in my lunch (I don't use a laptop lunch box, but I do have a couple of japanese bento boxes), I generally make it that morning and just eat it at room temp. I don't always need for my food to be piping hot.

As for the original question of what to pack, I'm not sure that I have any helpful suggestions that would work with the original poster's dietary restrictions. Also, I just tend to eat random stuff that I like. Here's a link to my Food set on Flickr, though, if you want to get some idea of the stuff I bring: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drv1913...7594064569348/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads