+ Reply to Thread

Shipping holiday goodies?

This year is the first year i'll be sending some homemade goodies to faraway friends. I've never sent any sort of food stuffs through the mail- any advice? Like what kind of shipping I should do, packaging tips, etc.
    I'll be sending out peppermint bark, which after its made has a shelf life of about four days to a week, room temp, and most likely cookies, with a shelf life of 2-3 days after baked. thxxx

2. # ADS

Depends on where you are sending it, containers and such.
    I am really loving the ziploc twist top containers and I recommed them for packing brittle in.
    The post can be a little unpredictable at this time of year, but I am pretty happy with the postal service, I send most everything 2-3 day priority.

I tend to go with the ziploc/gladware disposable tupperware type containers. And then cram every nook and cranny full of wax paper so that the treats don't move around. (Shake it/toss it/drop it on the floor - if nothing moves, it is ready to mail)

Then cushion your tupperware in a larger box with packing paper or those bags of air or peanuts or whatever.

As for shipping method - I usually go Priority Mail. Althought they say three days, it usually takes two days to get from where I am to where I am shipping. You can check those sorts of estimates on UPS/FedEx & USPS's websites for the zip codes you need. See if you can get overnight or 2 day service for 3 day prices.

As for shipping, it depends on where you are going.

I don't send a lot of treats through the mail but my friend Denisa is a great dessert maker and often sends treats. She uses the gladware containers and wax paper with the priority mail and everything arrives safely and is very yummy!

Ads