Mailing Holiday Chutneys.... help, please.

hello, i am making two chutneys- one hot, one cold. i've read about the canning process for the hot, but how do i get the cold chutney (uncooked cilantro, mint, etc) to stay preserved. i'm sending them from west to east coast only so i can't imagine that they would go bad on the way and i can add directions to eat it soon. any words of advice? thanks, kate

2. # ADS

You'll want to do overnight shipping, and let your recipient know to stick in in the fridge when it arrives. I think you can water-process the cold chutney so that you get a good seal on the jar, but even if you don't, it should be okay travelling overnight. Make sure you package it so they don't get broken in transit-- wrap each jar in bubble wrap, put two layers of bubble wrap on the bottom, and fill up any space in the box with crumpled newspaper. Good luck!

more help

thanks for the reply! as far as the canning of the chutneys goes.... do you know if i can jar the cold mint chutney the same as the hot one? ie. sterilize the jars, put the chutney in them, add the lid and boil them... will this automatically seal the lid and make them last longer. in the kitchen as we speak, k

that won't work. you could get a better seal on the jars by putting the cold chutney in a water-bath, but the contents would go bad just as fast since they were not heated to sterilize them.

the kind of bacteria that grow in sealed jars are pretty nasty (think botulism) so i would be VERY clear in your package that the fresh chutney needs to be refrigerated and then eaten as soon as possible. bacteria are very hardy, and will flourish in a jar of food that isn't either sterilized or kept cold.

maybe you could try freezing the jars, then wrapping them in newspapers to insulate them so they stay cold longer? you could also overnight them on ice packs.

ok, thanks for the words of advise. i guess i'll spring for the overnight shipping. happy holidays!

Thansk

Remove Ads

Ads