Thread: food processor?

food processor?

So like a lot of people, I have been trying to lose weight and live a more healthy lifestyle. One of the things I have been trying to do, is cook more from scratch and eat less processed food. I have found I really enjoy cooking more than I thought.

So, I would like to buy a food processor. However, I haven't the faintest idea what one looks for when one goes shopping for one. I promised myself a kitchenaid mixer and one food processor (for all the Food Network recipes I drool over use one).

Can anyone give me a VERY basic list of what qualities one would look for? I am thinking Ebay or some such thing..TIA

2. # ADS

I got an Oster from a friends grandmother. I think it is about 20 years old but still works great (granted I have no idea how much she used it).
    If (unlike me) you don't mind buying second hand appliances you can probably find one at a thrift store or on ebay, however, you are going to want something with sharp blades. I would go with Oster or Cuisinart.

I only have the three basic blades: chopping, slicing and grating.

Really I don't use it THAT often because more than anything it is annoying to clean.

If you can get a good knife and a blender you might be better off, of course it depends on what you are using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by quornflour
    Really I don't use it THAT often because more than anything it is annoying to clean.
    Ditto, about my new fancy Philips Cucina one (which was a gift).

Mine has a ridiculous amount of functions but I only really use it to grate (when I have a lot of cheese or carrots or whatever to grate - for smaller amounts it's not really worth it), chop/mix (making eg hummus or pie crust) or whip (cream or egg whites).

I'd probably start by making a list of things you actually need it for - ie occasions when you've thought "I could really use a food processor right now". I think it's a good idea to start out with a basic food processor rather than a very complicated one. And get a reputable brand, if possible.

my cuisinart only has two buttons "chop" and "grind" and i find that even though i bought the simplest one, i still go back to my good old fashioned knife and cutting board.

i find a food processor very useful for making pie crust, grating large amounts of cheese (like for lasagna for a party) and making things like hummus or pesto. i don't actually own one, but i used my mom's a lot when i was living with my parents! hers is a basic Cuisinart, probably 15 years old. it has a chopping blade and a grater, plus a slicer and a dough blade, but neither of those are useful. it only has "on" and "pulse" settings. i can't imagine being able to use any more complicated settings.

if you're saving up for one appliance, i would go with a food processor first and then a Kitchenaid, unless you bake a whole lot or want to make home-made bread.

That sounds like a good plan...that is to save for one first..and I only want a very basic one.

Thanks for all the advice! It is very useful.

Remove Ads

Ads