Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i hate cabbage, but i like broccoli and cauliflower, so i don't think that's it. i couldn't find anything about the digestability of brassicas, but i only looked online for a few minutes.

brassicas do contain compounds that induce certain enzymes that metabolize drugs, toxins, etc. for excretion so theoretically if you ate enough brussels sprouts you could decrease the efficacy of birth control pills.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    brassicas do contain compounds that induce certain enzymes that metabolize drugs, toxins, etc. for excretion so theoretically if you ate enough brussels sprouts you could decrease the efficacy of birth control pills.
    You're kidding! I never heard that about brassica. I have heard about St. John's Wort having that effect--it pretty much makes birth control pills not work. I'm totally asking my Ethnobotany professors if they knew about that.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i think brussels sprouts are, not to put too fine a point to it, fucking horrendous.

i thought i would try them again as an adult because everyone was raving about how delicious the brussels sprouts were at a party i went to, and they still tasted like gross, bitter, cabbagey gross to me. i don't like cabbage in any form except sauerkraut.
    Not to push you into trying them again, but my husband the chef will steam halved sprouts al dente, then saute them in butter &/or olive oil until the cut edges and outside leaves are browned. This actually carmelizes them, (hope that's the right spelling) and removes most of the bitterness. He will do this at the same time with cauliflour, which means most of us at the table will find at least one vegetable we can actually eat for that meal.

I love steamed cabbage, especially napa cabbage, and beets. My husband loathes both, says that they taste "dirty."

oh hell no, i already tried brussel sprouts that were allegedly delicious, and i am not doing it again. they were caramelized and served with chestnuts (which i do like). i tend to be sensitive to bitter tastes, so that is probably why i hate them (and cabbage, and mustard greens, and collards...) but i do love beets.

I''m not much of a brussel sprouts person, but I do like asparagus if cooked right.

asparagus is delicious. brussels sprouts are repulsive.

alate, i realize this is a very late response, but all plants contain compounds that are biologically active. we get exposed to more "pesticides" through plants that through man-made pesticides. plants can't run or hide, so they have to produce chemical toxins to protect themselves from bacteria, fungus, and herbivory. even bland old potatoes have neurotoxins that are similar to organophosphates in them, and green potatoes can have enough solanine to make a person sick.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Ads