any professional bakers/pastry chefs in the hiz-ouse?!?!!

Hi everyone.

I am contemplating a career change... is there anyone on the board that is a baker or pastry chef? If so, could you elaborate on the following points?

-- what was your experience in culinary school?
    -- in what (particular) field are you working? (cakes, catering, restaurant, etc)
    -- do you have a blog that you read/write that pertains to your work?

thanks bunches.

2. # ADS

i'm not, but i used to work at a bakery and one of my old bosses at Jo-Ann was a former pastry chef.

nobody at the bakery or the pastry chef had gone to culinary school, they all learned on the job. same with my sister, who is a cook.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    i'm not, but i used to work at a bakery and one of my old bosses at Jo-Ann was a former pastry chef.

nobody at the bakery or the pastry chef had gone to culinary school, they all learned on the job. same with my sister, who is a cook.

interesting! what kind of work did you do? thanks in advance for the info... :-)

My husband was a professional chef and restauranteur, and learned his trade on the job, working his way up from busboy.

You can do this in a bakery or a place known for its baked goods, working your way up from a lowly position. You can also go to culinary school. Both ways are valid and respected, and both have their own strengths.

at the bakery? i mostly sold the bread, i wasn't a baker. i would help cut and form sticky buns if they needed help, and i frequently separated the exceedingly hot cooked sticky buns and moved them onto clean pans to cool. that sucked. the owner learned from a baker in France, then had a brick oven built. he was an asshole, and i don't think the bread was all that great, but some people are obsessed with how awesome it is.

i thought working in a bakery sucked. i didn't have to get there that early, but the owner woke up at 4 to prepare the oven and the bakers got there at 5 to start shaping and proofing the bread. by the end of the day, i was sticky and sweaty and had flour in my hair and all my clothes and hair smelled like sourdough, which is far less appealing than you might think.

One of my bestest friends is a pastry chef, and she learned on the job. She's been doing it for like 20 years, her specialty is cakes, and she doesn't really read or follow any blogs.

One thing she's mentioned is that nowadays it's harder to work yourself up, because labor practices have changed so much. It used to be that positions like busboy and the like (to use Mrs. Stroozi's example) were designed for people who were going to work their way up; now a lot of (unethical) businesses are more interested in keeping those positions permanently low-wage and not developing the people in them to do more. So if you go the work-your-way-up route, be careful about the situation you get yourself into.

here is some advice from a pro:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive..._t_1.html#more

(i love this blog. he's funny and interesting and makes the most delectable desserts!)

bump.

thanks stella

Remove Ads

Ads