Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stella
    don't observant Jews keep kosher all the time? i had two Jewish friends in high school, and they were always kosher. i didn't grow up in an area with many Jewish folks, though, so i don't know. i thought Kosher was an all-the-time thing and then there are other restrictions during Passover and so forth?
    From what I can tell (I am not Jewish myself and my husband is a nonobservant, secular Jew) there are levels of observance depending on how traditional, conservative or orthodox you are. There are many Jewish families who "keep kosher" all year long by not mixing meat with milk, or &/or not eating pork or shellfish. My FIL does this degree of kosher as does his wife (although she eats shellfish), but I don't believe they keep utensils and dishes for meat and dairy separate. He sort of goes a degree deeper on holy days by abstaining from leavened bread and eating only matzoh but she doesn't. There's so many different degrees and kinds of koshers within the basics; it's a fascinating study. I even found out that there's kosher food for your goldfish!

My husband used to be a restaurant chef, and he was fascinated by how his kitchen was kosher-cleaned in preparation for an observant Jewish wedding reception dinner. The rabbi first cleaned his steel counters with a flame thrower. This opened "the pores" of the steel and burned off whatever food residue was left. They were then slooshed with boiling water -- for the rinse -- and then with cold water to close the metal pores. I swear you could have performed surgery on those counters after that.

2. # ADS

good to know! my Jewish friends in high school didn't mix meat and dairy or ear pork or shellfish, but i don't think their families did the separate utensils thing either.

i'm having a burrito-casserole thing (it's like a burrito with rice, beans, cheese, and olives, but layered instead of rolled) that i made a few months ago and froze. it's even better reheated now than it was when i first made it.

Tonight is our Investment Division's Annual meeting at a hotel in the city--so mainly I'll be munching and grabbing things in a buffet line as my dinner.

Tomorrow night I plan to bake salmon marinated 'briefly' in low-sodium soy sauce with broccoli and boiled potatoes as sides. We usually have this twice a week--it's simple and delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Knits4Fun

Tomorrow night I plan to bake salmon marinated 'briefly' in low-sodium soy sauce with broccoli and boiled potatoes as sides. We usually have this twice a week--it's simple and delicious.
    not to mention healthy!

cream of asparagus soup. i get bonus points for using some of the leftovers in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirbeth
    cream of asparagus soup. i get bonus points for using some of the leftovers in the fridge.
    Oh, that sounds yummy!

Speaking of leftovers, I just took what I hope are frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer. So we will definitely be having chicken tonight, and hopefully enough left over to make a chicken-orange-goat cheese salad tomorrow. So thank you elixerbeth, for reminding me! (Leftover asparagus is delicious in this salad, too, as are grapes. Use red or spring onions.)

AND we had dinner at my other MIL's house last night (prime rib, asparagus, broccoli, orzo, strawberries) so missed our weekly local farmers' market. Damn! One less chance to indulge in baby zucchini w/ flowers until next year. So we won't be having those for dinner tonight.

My husband is cooking for me tonight. He's making a nice pasta salad with all kinds of fresh vegetables and turkish bread with a spanish tomato dipsauce, YUMMY!!! can't wait.

Portabella mushroom and roasted red pepper sandwiches with couscous and asparagus. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by amaryllis
    Portabella mushroom and roasted red pepper sandwiches with couscous and asparagus. Can't wait!

Oh my! That sounds so good!

I'm making chicken with broccoli in garlic sauce. Oh shoot, guess I should get the rice cooking!

Anyone get anything special for Mother's Day dinner tonight?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads