60th birthday cake ideas

Hi everyone,

I''m planning to make a 60th birthday cake for my aunt in a few weeks. The cake will have to serve 20 people. I''ve never made such a large cake, but I want it to be really impressive! Does anyone have any ideas for this cake - theme, icing, etc? I''d really like to go all out & be creative, with little plastic figurines on it, sprinkles, etc.. I need a plan though, or it''ll turn out a bit of a mess!

If anyone has any ideas for this then please let me know : )

2. # ADS

Hi,

Why not try simple flowers like the golden wedding cake on my website. If you try to make it too fussy with figures etc it could look messy.

See it at

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dizzybubb...ion_cakes.html

All you need it a couple of cutters and the minimum or skill putting it together. Use ready coloured fondant icing. Cut out the flowers flat and then curl them with your fingers and leave for half a day to dry out a little. Then make small balls of icing for the centres, put the centres in (with a small amount of water to stick if necessary) and flatten them into circles with the end of a piece of dowl wood or similar flat ended implement. Similarly curve the leaf parts and then stick it all to the cake with some royal icing piped from a bag with a large nozzle.

Let me have a picture by email (address on the home page of my site) and I will post it online for you.

Twenty people is a lot, have you thought about maybe making two cakes - I'm sure there are some creative ideas you could do with that.

If you are willing to invest in some new cake pans, making a tiered cake isn't so different from making a regular cake but seems really impressive.

Instead of making 2 9 inch rounds, make 2 10 inch rounds and 2 8 inch rounds (or whatever size pans you have/could reasonably see yourself using again).

I'd probably make a normal batch of batter and make 1 little and 1 big round. Then repeat that rather than double your recipe.

A piece of cardboard a little smaller than the small cake should be enough to support the stacked cakes.

The wedding cake-esque assembly seems super fancy even with just regular frosting.

Then you can decorate it however you like. Fondant flowers would be pretty. Buttercream piping if you know how.

I have zero skills at decorating cakes, so I'd probably keep it really simple. Some sprinkles and a 60 candle on top. Sparklers are a pretty alternative to typical birthday candles. Or fresh flowers would be really pretty and elegant.

Good luck! If you have a craft store with a baking section, wandering their aisles could be a good place to get ideas.

At our family parties normal size cakes feed over 20 people - you just cut it into columns instead of triangles. Try going to Flickr and doing a search for cakes :D

Thanks for all your suggestions! That was my first post on getcrafty by the way - yay : ) As a late introduction, I am writing from my home country, Scotland, and what can I say except I'm creative in general - I love taking photographs, cooking, browsing sites like flickr (especially the wardrobe_remix group - so inspirational), baking cakes, watching French movies, travelling...I love France in particular.. oh, and I love cats. If my feet ever stop itching enough for me to settle down, I'd love to have one of my own, and a dog, or three :)

It's funny you should suggest a tiered cake, as I found a picture on the internet of one which would be easier to do than one large cake. This cake was one large square with another smaller square on top, set at an angle, then each cake was decorated to look like a present. Simple but effective I think! It would be easy to decorate too - as I am not too skilled at icing, I could do squiggles (technical term, he) and stripes to look like wrapping paper, then put bows & stuff on too.

I will try to keep it simple - I'll have to draw out a plan on paper first as I know if I don't I'll get carried away & the cake'll be a big mess ; )

I'll still welcome any other ideas, though, as I have till the end of May to decide. I'll check out the flickr too, cassie, thanks for suggesting that :D

epicurious.com has some cake tutorials up right now. you may want to check them out.

Remove Ads

Ads