dip-iddy-doo-dah

so i've got a birthday party to go to this weekend. just remembered that i offered to bring something, the hostess said "dip." so i don't really "do" the whole dip thing since it seems like they all contain mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese or something equally, well, gross to me! but i've gotta bring something and i've no idea what to make and it's just so not me to bring some packaged thing..... any suggestions for a good crowd pleaser? it will be a mixed crowd of kids and adults. i don't mind if it has that stuff in it - i don't have to eat it! i just want something that everyone else will think is good....

2. # ADS

my favorite to make is dill dip. but since you hate all of its ingredients... maybe just buy a package of french onion dip?

i guess you could also whip together a batch of hummus.

try looking for Middle Eastern recipes. there are a lop of dips that don't have white, creamy ingredients.

also, what about bean dip, guacamole, or salsa? or seven-layer dip. it has sour cream in it, but everyone in the world loves it except you ;) avocados are pretty cheap right now.

My mom blends a container of cream cheese with a container of salsa. It is called "cream cheese salsa". It's really good, if you like that sort of thing, harhar.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness
    My mom blends a container of cream cheese with a container of salsa. It is called "cream cheese salsa".
    i laughed out loud when i read this. (not at the recipe, but at the name and your phrasing.)

My mom makes this dip and its always a hit, it helps if you have a fondue pot so it stays a little warm.

Cheesy Ranch Bean Dip

INGREDIENTS
    1 can refried beans
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 package ranch dressing mix
    1 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS
    In a small saucepan, combine beans, cheese, ranch dressing mix, and sour cream. Heat the mixture over a medium heat, stir until the ingredients are well blended and warm.

But if you don't want to do a warm dip...i've never made hummus (i leave it up to the experts) but my friend swears by this recipe.

Garlic and Olive Hummus

INGREDIENTS
    1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
    1/3 cup pitted olives
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
    1 teaspoon cilantro leaves
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    Place garbanzo beans, olives, and garlic into the bowl of a blender or food processor. Pour in olive oil and lemon juice; season with basil, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cover and puree until smooth. Hummus can be served immediately, or covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Sometimes she puts it through a sieve, too, so its extra smooth.

Hope that helped

hmm. the hummus is looking good to me. however the hostess usually has it at her soirees.... so if she doesn't then i think i'll go that way! thankie. the bean dip looks good for those that like the sour cream. and who knows, perhaps i'll try it myself!

I don't eat creamy white foods either - nice to know that I'm not the only one who isn't big on the whole dip genre.

Salsa or pico de gallo are good and pretty easy to make.

As is something from the cheese family. Beer cheese or queso dip (you can melt the Velveeta and salsa together or do something a bit less processed)

Hummus is great - but certainly less so if your hostess is likely to have it on hand.

I don't mind yogurt (the odd exception to my creamy white food rule) - so a sweeter dip, like caramel or yogurt and honey for fruit could be really good.

And I know there is mayonnaise in spinach and artichoke dip, but somehow I can handle that too.

Good luck.

update: the hostess didn't even remember asking me to bring dip.... sa-weet! instead i made the last minute grocery store run on our way there for her and in the end, i didn't have to do anything dip-related.

score!

Remove Ads

Ads