carbonated coffee

In the car yesterday I was alternating between drinking iced coffee (with lots of milk in it) and carbonated water. I started thinking how yummy a drink with both would be.

I think I've heard of some mass-produced coffee sodas which have failed, I was thinking it would be better to make my own. Has anyone tried such a beverage experiment?

I found a few recipes online but most of them involve liquor or ice cream. Maybe I'll just try making some iced coffee, pour it over some San Pellegrino mineral water and see how it goes.

2. # ADS

I swear I bought one once.....in an Italian deli. The brand name was something New York-related. I swear the label was yellow and had the Manhattan skyline as a background.

Also, if you got one of those soda things.....the bottle with the CO2 cartridge........ then couldn't you carbonate it that way?

I agree, though, it's a great idea. When Coke Blak came out, I was disappointed to learn that it didn't have extra caffeine (just a coffee taste).

you can get Italian carbonated espresso/coffee in little bottles at fancy grocery stores and delis. i don't really care for it because it's very sweet and i drink coffee unsweetened, but it is good if you like sweet coffee.

I might start with an espresso base so that you could add milk and ice and carbonated water without it getting too diluted.

Or at least, a very strong pot of coffee.

If I remember from my barrista days, you made a French soda by dumping ice in a cup, pouring syrup over it, add a bit of cream and then add the soda. I'd go with the same basic structure/assembly.

mmm...fizzy...

Quote Originally Posted by cackalackie
    I swear I bought one once.....in an Italian deli. The brand name was something New York-related. I swear the label was yellow and had the Manhattan skyline as a background.

Also, if you got one of those soda things.....the bottle with the CO2 cartridge........ then couldn't you carbonate it that way?

I agree, though, it's a great idea. When Coke Blak came out, I was disappointed to learn that it didn't have extra caffeine (just a coffee taste).
    its called manhattan soda.

If you have the time and inclination, you can carbonate coffee and bottle it. It would have to have some sugar in it and you would add yeast.

Champagne bottles would work best. I've made plenty of soft drinks as well as beers, ales, meads, etc. I know there are extracts to make certain flavors of soda like sarsaparilla that are hard to approximate at home. I would bet you could find the coffee extracts to do that. Probably not with a cream flavor, though. Hmmm, but you could combine flavored extracts just as one does Jelly Bellies.

I've been planning on experimenting with a strong coffee with half and half, some sugar and yeast to bottle. The problem with that is the fuller body with the strong coffee and the fats in the dairy may be too rich for nice carbonation. It might only come up with a crackle, not fine bubbles. Big bubbles would also leave a fatty scum around the top of your glass. Kinda gross, eh?

Anyhow, before I go full throttle, I will probably try a mixed ade with my beloved ice coffee (with half and half) and a still water to dilute. Then with sugar and yeast, the bottling should produce a sparkling, medium body, refreshing coffee beverage. That's in theory.

If you try home bottling, please follow instructions precisely. It's very easy to contaminate, and very easy to explode bottles.

Thanks Lizzy!

by the way, it's great to see you back here. (:

Remove Ads

Ads