to many apricots!

I went to the farmer's market today and bought 26 lbs of apricots for $10. So far I've made 10 pints of preserves, my dehydrator is full, and I've barely made a dent in them! What else can I do?

2. # ADS

yowzas. that's a LOT of apricots. i guess you just need to start incorporating them into your daily meals...

-- sliced into your cereal
    -- folded into crepes
    -- topped with a buttery, nutty bleu and some crushed nuts and served as a snack
    -- reduced to a glaze and topped onto pork, salmon, etc
    -- apricot vodka or brandy
    -- tarts, cakes, scones, etc..

yikes. those ideas are no help. what about passing a few along to friends and family?

You could start a rum pot with them. It's an old-fashioned thing, with fresh fruits and maybe sugar muddled at the bottom of a large crock. People in my grandma's day made this in a five gallon crock in the root cellar or someplace cool. Eventually rum gets added to the fermenting fruit and you have a syrupy fruity thing to add to baked goods, puddings and ice creams or to spice as a fruit compote or chutney. It's one of those things that you keep adding to it as the year goes on.

I've haven't done one myself, but there are probably recipes on mastercook or one of the mega recipe sites. I would bet that modern recipes will add sugar and yeast.

Another thing to do with so much fruit is to cook and mash it or puree it. Pureed apricots can be substituted for a certain amount of fat in some baked goods, and would useful in some middle eastern recipes. I've used apricot bits in my moussaka for instance.

here is all you ever needed to know about freezing them...

Thanks! These ideas are great. I think we are going to make some mead (honey wine) with a good chunk of them, but I'm definately going to be storing some more of them. It's the incorporating them into all of my meals that I'm daunted by!
    As for giving them to people, we just moved here a couple weeks ago and I don't really know anyone yet, so this would be a great excuse to talk to my neighbors more!

yeah, you might become everyone's fave neighbor if you go around giving them apricots....or better yet- mead! i love elixirbeth's ideas!!! :)

i'm sure it's too late for this year, but apricot chutney is really good. i made some with fresh and dried apricots, apple, vinegar, hot chili, and Indian spices and it's delicious. i actually froze some apricots and next time i can score some cheap mangoes i am going to make apricot-mango chutney. i can it in a 20 minute hot water bath, but you could also freeze it.

I'd make pies... slice them up, cover with whipping cream/sugar and a dash of flour, top with cinnamon and dot with butter. I make it with peaches, but I bet apricots would work.

I made a ton of jam, and I made a few pies also. I'm going back today to get peaches, they are about as cheap as the apricots were!

Remove Ads

Ads