Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Thanksgiving thread yet?

What's on your menus? How do I convince my BF that we alone cannot consume an entire turkey??

My menu so far:
    Hot Spiked-Spiced-Buttered Apple Cider
    Cornbread-sausage-apple stuffing
    Brussel sprouts w/ golden raisins & prosciutto/pancetta/bacon (haven't decided yet)
    Traditional sweet potato casserole (w/ the marshmallows)
    Red velvet cupcakes from Heavenly Crumbs

I'd like to do a duck or individual cornish hens for the main course. Any tips/recipes?

2. # ADS

Mmm... Thanksgiving dinner is something I look forward to all year.

My godmother usually hosts the big feast for the whole family, but she'll be in Costa Rica this year, so we're all sort of scattering and doing our own thing. I'll be having dinner with my boyfriend, his father, my roommate, her boyfriend and his son.
    So far the menu is:
    Glazed ham
    Seitan sautéed with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic (This is the "traditional" dish that is an absolute must for my family. With so many vegetarians in the family, turkey isn't always on the menu, but seitan is key)
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    Apple, raisin and walnut stuffing
    Brussel sprouts (haven't decided yet how to cook them)
    Cornbread or drop biscuits
    Cranberry sauce
    Dad's famous pumpkin pie

I'm hungry already. I can't wait!

Re: No Thanksgiving thread yet?

Quote Originally Posted by lazysundae
    What's on your menus? How do I convince my BF that we alone cannot consume an entire turkey??

My menu so far:
    Hot Spiked-Spiced-Buttered Apple Cider
    Cornbread-sausage-apple stuffing
    Brussel sprouts w/ golden raisins & prosciutto/pancetta/bacon (haven't decided yet)
    Traditional sweet potato casserole (w/ the marshmallows)
    Red velvet cupcakes from Heavenly Crumbs

I'd like to do a duck or individual cornish hens for the main course. Any tips/recipes?
    what about a turkey breast? they're pretty freaking big.

we're going to my mom's place... she never wants to do anything NEW. it's kind of a drag because i have so many ideas. she'll be making the usual. turkey, stuffing, beans, yams, etc etc etc.

we have the same thing every year with friends. we bring stuffed mushrooms and roasted garlic. they make turkey and stuffing (which i don't eat) plus mashed potatoes, yams, peas, veggie stuffing, rolls, and cranberry sauce. plus there is pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate pie, and usually another different pie. and fresh whipped cream, and wine and champagne. it's awesome. i would not change a thing.

i love thanksgiving!

I hate to be a downer, but I generally hate Thanksgiving. But the food... YUM!! My husband and I are escaping out of town this year, but I hope that we can still stop by his mom and dad's house for a serving of thanksgiving food/leftovers!

Lazysundae, I hope your brussel sprouts are better than the ones I had as a kid that smelled like feet! Your cornbread-sausage-apple stuffing sounds REALLY good! I love stuffing!!

I really miss Thanksgiving as a kid when everyone would bring their favorite foods over to my grandparents house and we would all eat till we were stuffed laughing the entire time! Growing up stinks!

I'm roasting a pork tenderloin stuffed with cranberries and kumquats, and will probably have the everpresent mashed potatoes. Vegetables will depend on what looks good and fresh, but usually we have some sort of squash and green beans sauteed with garlic and rosemary. My mother has been getting on me to make the acorn squash rings glazed with orange juice that I did so many years ago. I'll have to wing it since I barely remember it. It was last century at any rate. I'd prefer to stuff acorn squash halves with a spinach cheese mixture.

Pumpkin pie will be done, but a bow to tropical living means we have key lime, too.

No wine this year. Two very elderly geriatrics and two others just not interested.

The acorn squash with spinach and cheese sounds good! I've never thought to do that; I always cook acorn squash with something sweet.
    I'm in charge of bringing a few things to my grandmere's. I'm going to make two batches of mayonnaise, one regular, and one fancy. I haven't decided what yet, if I'll do a lemon-caper aioli or go crazy and try one with garam masala or za'atar or I have no idea what.
    I am also - depending on what turns up at the farmers market today - bringing brussel sprouts and mashed acorn squash with horseradish, sage, and maple syrup. I haven't decided how to cook the brussel sprouts, actually, though some of the suggestions here sound good. I'm torn between trying this recipe:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...ts-recipe.html
    or sauteeing them with olive oil, garlic, and smoked paprika.

I'm glad someone started this thread. :)

the brussels sprouts were delish - i'm glad i read the feet comment after the fact tho :)

we ended up cooking a 12 lb turkey. ate leftovers for a couple of days, and yesterday i made soup w/ more of the meat. it came out really good.

how many ppl are already planning xmas menus?!

we're going to my mom's place... she never wants to do anything NEW. it's kind of a drag because i have so many ideas. she'll be making the usual. turkey, stuffing, beans, yams, etc etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads