+ Reply to Thread

girls night in dinner ideas?

3 of my girl friends are coming over friday night for dinner. we came up with a list of questions we're going to answer secretly after dinner to put in a time capsule that'll be opened up 10 years from now. hahaha.. pretty random but we thought of the idea during my bday dinner. things like, most likely to move away, most likely to be married first, etc etc.

anyhoo, i get home from work around 6. i have about 2 hours to prepare a dinner. i don't really know what to make but i want it to be good and quick. i'd definitely like to have a meat type dish w/ a side and possibly dessert. oh and also something w/ not too many ingredients... i'm low on $$.

any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. # ADS

Everytime I make this meal I get tons of compliments about how "gourmet" it is! Little do they know...
    As far as price, I would say it is in the medium price range category, but you could make adjustments to make it cheaper!

Poor Man's Chicken Cordon Blue
    4 chicken breasts (pounded out flat)
    1/2 pkg cream cheese
    1/2 package of bacon
    seasonings (I just use garlic & onion powder)
    Toothpicks

Lay out the chicken breast, put a few tablespoons of the cream cheese mix in the middle, fold breast in half. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around the chicken, use toothpicks to secure bacon and seal up chicken. Back at 375, for about 30 minutes. All in all this takes about 45 minutes to prepare!

15 minute parmasean pasta
    Pasta (use as many servings as you need...I usually use spaghetti noodles, but you can use anything)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 parmasean cheese (I use the stuff in a can that you put on italian dishes, because it's cheap)
    Garlic cloves (to taste)

Boil pasta according to directions, drain pasta. Saute minced garlic in olive oil. This goes really fast, just a minute or so. Pour olive oil over pasta and toss to coat. Stir in parmasean cheese and serve hot!

These together make a really great meal! You can also add a salad if you like.

I love the idea of the time capsule, I think it is so neat!!!

it's always fun to make homemade pizzas. you could make them as traditional or funky as you like. simply tomato, basil and cheese OR figs, gorgonzola, pancetta, and rucola or something. dough is easy enough to make, or pick up in the freezer section. and the wine choices are endless.

have fun! that dinner sounds like a cute idea.

both sound really good! and pizza IS my favorite food.

i will go to the grocery store tomorrow and see what i can pick up. the chicken sounds really good and i know my friends LOVE cream cheese. and then maybe i can just do mini pizza appetizers. yum.. i'm salivating already! hahaha. i found a recipe on pillsbury.com for chicken caesar salad cups which are just mini pillsbury dough cups w/ salad in it. i think it'd go well w/ the chicken.

i've always wanted to try making pizza but never have. my beau sent me a video of how to make pan-fried pizza and it looked so yummy and easy.

thanks, both of you, for your suggestions! [/b]

The pizza is a great idea. I have girls' night dinners a lot, actually, and we've done pizza a couple of times. Instead of buying sauce, I will buy cherry tomatoes and cut them in half or buy the cans of petite diced tomatoes, add olive oil, garlic cloves cut in half, and whatever seasonings i want. Then I grate a small amount of Parmesan, Asiago, Romano - a blend of whatever I have - over the top and stick it in the oven at 400F.
    It's really easy - though the first time I made pizza I was worried that something would go horribly wrong.
    One thing that is fun and saves you money is to ask everyone to bring a contribution to the pizza, such as something from their fridge they don't know what to do with that might make a good pizza topping. I did this once and someone brought a pepper and some cooked chicken. It was fun!
    Anyway, I'm just throwing that out there for a future girls night in :)

For my last girls night, I made Quiche. It was a huge hit!

Take about 7 eggs, cut up some turkey and add some onion, grated cheese and a few seasonings - salt, pepper, and whatever you like to taste. Put it in a pie crust and cook it for about 30-45 minutes until it is slightly brown on top. SO YUM!

alate, good point... i normally don't do sauces either. since i don't have a serious fiery oven, the pizzas tend to get soggy if i put sauce on them. instead a use a good brushing of olive oil, some thyme, sun dried tomatoes (chopped), and minced garlic. the flavor has the same effect, especially when i cover the pizza with good meats and cheeses.

also, i wanted to add that there a some great quiche/savory tart recipes on epicurious. i just made a fantastic swiss chard tart, and it was a snap.

Momto2boyz:
    thank you! your chicken recipe was a HUGE hit. it was so yummy. i'll be posting pix on my blog soon.

my next challenge will be homemade pizza.

Ads